Issues with refurb SAS 4TB Hardrive

mikefallen

Hardware:

Supermicro H8DM8-2  (link)

3 x AoC-SAT2-MV8 (link)

New HGST 4TB sas HDD (link)

4u 24 bay supermicro case w/  SAS846TQ Backplane (link)

From what i understand this backplane just does pass-through and has no issues with drives over 2.2TB in size as is has no expander onbaord. 

Issue:

This week I had a 2tb SATA HDD fail on me, quick search on ebay lead me to some refurb 4tb sas drives for 80$ shipped so i bought 1 to replace the failing drive. When i replaced the 2tb sata hgst drive with a 4tb hgst sas drive unraid will boot up to the point of "starting Rsyslogd daemon" and will hang there, if i pull the new drive while the system is hung there the boot process will continue and boot into unraid as expected. I can also boot straight into unraid just fine with the disk completely removed.

I am assuming there is some kind of hardware incompatibility somewhere that i am not aware off and help troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated ! 

Edited by mikefallen
Hardware:
Supermicro H8DM8-2  (link)
3 x AoC-SAT2-MV8 (link)
New HGST 4TB sas HDD (link)
4u 24 bay supermicro case w/  SAS846TQ Backplane (link)

From what i understand this backplane just does pass-through and has no issues with drives over 2.2TB in size as is has no expander onbaord. 

Issue:
This week I had a 2tb SATA HDD fail on me, quick search on ebay lead me to some refurb 4tb sas drives for 80$ shipped so i bought 1 to replace the failing drive. When i replaced the 2tb sata hgst drive with a 4tb hgst sas drive unraid will boot up to the point of "starting Rsyslogd daemon" and will hang there, if i pull the new drive while the system is hung there the boot process will continue and boot into unraid as expected. I can also boot straight into unraid just fine with the disk completely removed.

I am assuming there is some kind of hardware incompatibility somewhere that i am not aware off and help troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated ! 

Or the disk is toast.

Sent from a small phone with phat phingers