New Windows 7 VM wont start with 2+ cores

Hi, I'm running a Ryzen unraid server, on 6.7.2

I've been encountering a strange issue with my Windows 7 VM, where it wont start with more than 1 core.

I setup the VM is a pretty standard fashion, and it would not start installer with more than 1 core (I understand this is a known issue), so I continued with a single core for installation and setup.

However, now I cannot even start the VM with more than 1 core enabled.

It just hangs and reboots before loading Windows, then the startup repair appears. This continues nonstop.

Has anyone encountered this or know a workaround?

This isn't a specific Ryzen issue. It's more like a Win7 issue thats around for ages. It usually only happens during the first setup of Win7. After the install and the first boot you should be able to shutdown the VM and add more cores without issues. What you can try is to try to use the machine type Q35 instead. If you are planing to passthrough devices like GPU audio mouse keyboard etc, first set it up without any devices.

I setup the i440 VM without any devices, and that is when the multiple core issue occurs.

When I shutdown, add cores and restart, I get the reboot crash loop causing startup repair.

I'm glad this isn't a Ryzen-specific issue, but I tried Q35 before, and the installer just hangs every time I do.

When using Q35, the Win7 installer starts, and sits at the glowing Windws icon forever.

So I cant even get it to install with Q35, not sure why.

Just now, Taddeusz said:

In that case have you tried changing the CPU mode to emulate?

I have not tried emulated CPU, but is there any detriment to doing this?

I'm trying to build this Win7 VM as a dedicated Steam gaming system, due to Win10 incompatibility with so many games.