Remove unused drive from array

Greetings.  First post and new to unraid but it's pretty slick.  I'm hoping this will be somewhat easy but if not then I'll grin and bare it and do a rebuild.  I was playing with unraid and setup my parity drive and another 4TB drive and all is well then I added a couple external USB drives for testing and see how things went.  Things are good.  I now want to remove the external drives.  Is there an easy way to do this?  Or is the "replacement" process the only way to do it?  I have data on the single 4TB drive (about 1.2TB) which I could backup and wipe the whole system if needed but I'd rather not.  

I'm not a Linux/Unix newbie so I can go through cli if that's the best route for this.  I went through the docs and searching the forum and I can't find anything about removing an unused, un-needed drive.  Is this a first?

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

USB connections are not recommended in the array due to unreliability.

Tools - New Config. Keep all drive assignments, then it will let you make changes before starting the array. Unassign the drives you want to remove, then start the array to rebuild parity.

I wasn't planning on keeping the USB as part of the array :) but I wanted to see if they would work.  I was thinking of using one "unassigned" for a local copy/backup of certain things so I can also quickly import new data as well.  Do you perceive any problems with that and unraid?  

I was poking around in the Tools -> New Config but I was hesitant and I thought I'd ask first before I spent another couple days rebuilding.

18 hours ago, simplextech said:

I was poking around in the Tools -> New Config but I was hesitant and I thought I'd ask first before I spent another couple days rebuilding.

New Config rebuilds parity by default. It is possible to get it to skip the parity rebuild, but in this case you should rebuild parity because when you remove a disk you have invalidated parity.

Without the USB drive it shouldn't take as long to rebuild. How big is parity? I usually estimate 2-3 hrs per GB of parity.

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

I think @trurl meant to say 2-3TB per hour...

I would hope this is more like it... however my current rig has a crappy Marvell controller in it... to be replaced tomorrow with a new LSI.  On first build it took a most of a day to build parity with just a single 4TB drive.  This is on a AMD FX 8350 that I was using for Blue Iris and decided to do more with it :)