We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Troubles after new router

So my ISP changed my router (much faster internet speeds now) but now my Unraid box is giving me troubles.

At first it was a nightmare just to log on. My old ip no longer worked and the new ip wouldn't do it either. Even //tower only allowed me to get there occasionally. Anyway, after a while i got there. I had to change the network settings on the tower to match the router. The router wouldn't let me change the Towers settings. I went from 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.254.xxx i had to make guesses to the other settings with a little help from the internet. Now i can access things just fine BUT

It appears that the network connection is cutting out randomly. I use a program called teracopy to transfer files and historically have had zero troubles doing so. Now sometimes it works fine, sometimes not.  I did a few test transferring between 25 GB and 100GB files (or even a single 50 GB file)

The last test gave me a few "an expected network error occurred" errors and then a few "time out" messages.

I'm guessing I've got the wrong settings installed in this thing. :(

Any help appreciated.

It would be useful if you were to post up your diagnostics file for the Unraid server.   Tools   >>>   Diagnostics

Try and locate a manual for that modem/router.  Your ISP should be able to give you a link to it.  If you were using a stand alone router before, you should be able to plug that old router into your ISP's new modem/router and everything should be back to working as before you got the new modem router.  That is most likely why the new modem/router was set to up 192.168.254.XXX.  (I am assuming that your old router was new enough that it had all Gb ports on it.) 

I would recommend you to get a new router instead of trying to make it work with an ISP router.

• If it's just a router, chances are you can just plug in a new router to the same hole in the wall and it would work out of the box.
  • If it's has an integrated modem (or if it doesn't work out of the box) then you can just plug the new router into the ISP router.
    • All you have to do next is to disable Wifi on your ISP router (to reduce interference with your new router). Most ISP will have an option to disable that.

ISP routers are notorious for having security holes.

For example, my ISP had to mass-recall their routers because of concerns over Chinese espionage. And then their replacement router has admin password printed on the router itself (and hard-coded i.e. can't be changed). Yikes!

• Like 1

I saw nothing that indicated that you were having any problems with the network interface on the Unraid server.   Of course, the log only covered about 30 minutes of time.  

If you are going to stick with that ISP modem/router, I would suggest that you get a inexpensive 1Gbps switch and connect all of your wired devices to the switch.  That may solve your throughput issues by getting the switching function out of the Modem/Router.  (Those things are not equipped with a very powerful processor...)

Well I got a new router  and so far so good. Everything went plug and play. Automatic ip configuration worked on everything. Unraid reconfigured by it's self and every things connects great!

After about a Terabyte of transfers in multiple different batches of different types ( on big file, lots of medium size files) it seems to work just fine again.

Its funny the Fios tech. said they went from Craftsman to Harbor freight.

Oh the router is Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual-Band

Edited by AugieDogie