We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unraid Keyboard Language

Ver7o

Hello there,

A new noob user here. So far I have been playing with unraid on a old computer setting it as a home NAS and Ive been very pleased with everzthing. I almost bought the license but then a new thought appeared. It would be even better if I moved those same old disk to my current gaming machine, set up some VMs and GPU passthrough and try out a do-it-all system.

However, I am now be stuck at the verz begining because I cant figure out how to change the keyboard language to... well anything really, let alone my Slovenian locale. Doing some googling led me old topics which didnt really help me fix this /kbd package and loadkeys option.../.

As its been years since requests to add this to unraid started appearing, as no other topics I found seemed to help me and because I would never figure it out on my own as my Linux knowledge is very limited, I decided to ask the kind people here for help with a workaround or something to fix this.

Pardon me for the keyboard errors, Im just not going to bother figuring US keyboard out.

11 minutes ago, Ver7o said:

However, I am now be stuck at the verz begining because I cant figure out how to change the keyboard language to... well anything really, let alone my Slovenian locale. Doing some googling led me old topics which didnt really help me fix this /kbd package and loadkeys option.../.

The very beginning? As in the login screen? Unless you use non-English characters in your password, I don't see how the keyboard layout would make a diff. 

No no, not the login screen. I can get to GUI just fine, I just cant deal with the (nonweb) Unraid GUI keyboard being US. Thats what Id like to tackle first, before I continue on what I set out to do.

As a note, I controlled the old system via webGUI, but this isnt an option here as a gaming VM needs to run natively (or am I missing something?)

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ver7o said:

No no, not the login screen. I can get to GUI just fine, I just cant deal with the (nonweb) Unraid GUI keyboard being US. Thats what Id like to tackle first, before I continue on what I set out to do.

As a note, I controlled the old system via webGUI, but this isnt an option here as a gaming VM needs to run natively (or am I missing something?)

Thanks.

Not too sure what you are talking about so perhaps some screenshots may help.

Thanks for answering.

I saw this, yes. I did manage to figure out where the kdb files are and that the correct locale for me is 'slovene', however when I type loadkeys slovene it says its loaded but nothing really changes. Editing go file as the link suggests also yields no change. Its still stuck on US.

• 5 months later...

Agree.

In fact, it works but....

The method with "loadkeys" to change (for example from QWERTY US to AZERTY FR) works great but only for the console mode (without GUI mode)

In GUI mode, it stays as default (qwerty US).

Do not know where to apply/seach for the modification of GUI Mode... 

Edited by Polopretress