my cache drive

Hi, so after hopefully solving my Plex crashing bug (see here) I had going on with version 6.7.2 by updating to 6.8.0-rc5. Before never knowing really how the best way to use it I've stored all the app data in the default directories. Since @Hoopster's response to my question about 6.7.2 having a known bug, I've decided it's probably time to move my Plex data apps to my cached drive. I have a 64GB SSD setup as a cache drive, but like I said before don't really have anything running off it. So my first question is, is there a proper way to move the data over besides trying to copy it in Krusader? Anything else I need to know before going ahead and doing it? I believe (I'll double check later) the app data files are on my first disk drive and not spread across my other couple ones as they have nothing on them right now. Still a novice at this stuff, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

23 minutes ago, yanksno1 said:

So my first question is, is there a proper way to move the data over besides trying to copy it in Krusader?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to set the 'Use cache' setting for the appdata share to 'Prefer'

Now that you have a cache drive, new appdata files will get created on the cache drive and existing appdata files on the array will be moved to the cache drive when the Mover is invoked.  You can run Mover manually or on a schedule.

Note the warning about disabling Docker and VM Manager before running Mover so no files are in use by these services when Mover runs. Anything in use will not get moved off the array and onto the cache drive.

image.thumb.png.ba77fd196881ac553cd0952853849ed4.png

Edited by Hoopster
2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

64GB is a very small size for a cache drive.

Agreed.  For some reason I read that as 640GB (not a common SSD size 😁

@yanksno1 A standard size for the docker.img file is 20GB and this is just for docker templates and configuration files. Databases , downloads, etc. require additional space. If you limit the cache drive to just appdata for docker containers (No VMs, no array write caching) and you have a limited number of docker containers, you may be OK.  Don't enable thumbnails or previews in Plex or you are likely to run out of room.

My cache drive is 256GB of which 87GB is currently in use.  I have my VM files on an unassigned device and I do not cache array writes on the cache drive.  I have a little overhead if I decide to cache some write in the future, but, I am thinking of upgrading my cache drive to 500GB or even 1TB so I can use it more.