VM creation Error ould not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm

Hello,

I test the free version 6.7.2 of unraid at the moment.

I really like the idea of unraid compared with my esxi and 5 VMs (NAS, pihole, house automationm, Plex...) on it.

It would be way better for my needs and I dont need to build a raid, because the array is enough for me with a parity disk.

I need to migrate some VMs because they need to be up and running quick. In future I want to recreate the services on them on docker ur plugins.

I installed unraid in a VM on my ESXi. I RAW passthrough my HDDs over a SATA/SAS Controller and created a array

Now I want to copy my esxi pihole VM (.vmdk, Debian 9) to unraid and run it there.

The copy over nfs was easy but I just dont get it running at all. I cant even create a new VM out of an iso file.

I always get at the end the error:

VM creation error
invalid argument: could not find capabilities for arch=x86_64 domaintype=kvm

I read that some versions of the 6.x.x are not that stable. Is this in this case also the problem or is it already fixed? The posts are over 1 year old on reddit.

Please tell me of you need any further information from me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Let me see if I understand. You are running Unraid itself as a VM in ESXi, and you are trying to setup a VM with that virtual Unraid as the host? So a VM within a VM?

Running Unraid itself as a VM is not supported, but we do have a subforum for people who are virtualizing Unraid, and I can move your post there if you want. I don't know if anybody there can help you or not.

Probably you will get more help if you simplify and run Unraid bare metal.

Yes its in a VM.

I tried it now bare but it dont want to boot at all on my server. Not the newest version and not the oldest I can choose in the USB Tool. Tried 3 different USB Sticks.

On my normal computer it booted but the bios settings are the same and both are AMD Systems. Only my server Bios is from end of 2018 and my main PC from this year.

Server: Ryzen 2200G, 16Gb Ram, Asus TUF Gaming B450 SVM on

PC: Ryzen 3600 G, 16GB Ram, Asus Rog Strix X470 SVM on/off no difference

Is there anything I can try?

@Pascal51882 Nested virtualisation is a pain in the butt. Mixing up different hypervisors each with it's own tweaks and patches you need to make it run properly, good luck with that. Each layer you add will not only reduce the performance it also will show weird behaviour if you don't know what you're doin. There is no easy way to config this.

1 minute ago, bastl said:

@Pascal51882 Nested virtualisation is a pain in the butt. Mixing up different hypervisors each with it's own tweaks and patches you need to make it run properly, good luck with that. Each layer you add will not only reduce the performance it also will show weird behaviour if you don't know what you're doin. There is no easy way to config this.

You read my last post? I try unraid first in a test VM before I unroll it for my physical server. I looked again in the VM settings and found the problem quickly. The virtualization for the CPU was disabled for the unraid VM.

So now I need to get the physical boot problem away :D

23 minutes ago, Pascal51882 said:

The next thing I need to do is to import 2 existing VMs which are .vmdks.

Is this possible in general?

It is possible to use .vmdk vdisks directly in KVM but since this is not supported by the Unraid GUI you have to manually put in the full path to such vdisk files to use them.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is possible to use .vmdk vdisks directly in KVM but since this is not supported by the Unraid GUI you have to manually put in the full path to such vdisk files to use them.

I try to get a small VM running as test with Debian9 and pi-hole but it doesnt start.

I copied the hole folder from my ESXi into my Array.

Than I created the VM in Unraid with the Debian Template and selected my virtual disk with this paths: image.png.98105365e7ff36fdc6570dd500b3a75a.png

This are all .vmdk files I can find.

I am stuck at the UEFI Interactive Shell. image.png.5bfa9b176ea6ee8b9e2fc01be065fd31.png

With exit I can select a disk but I get back to the same point. I dont find any bootfiles I could chose.

Do I need to change something else?

18 hours ago, itimpi said:

Is the VM in question set up for UEFI boot?   If not, then when creating the VM you want to make sure you select the SeaBios option.

I tried both but its the same problem, with Seabios it dont find a Boot device.

I got my Windows Server 2019 running with your guide in another topic:

-create a new VM

-set the BIOS to use SeaBios

-Set the primary vdisk to use SATA, Manual mode and then set the path to point to the .vmdk file

-set the network to a bridged connection (br0 in my case)

-create the VM

On more question. How do I get the network working?

Is there a driver file i can mount as iso?

Edited by Pascal51882
6 minutes ago, Pascal51882 said:

On more question. How do I get the network working?

Is there a driver file i can mount as iso?

There should be a virtio iso image file available which has the drivers to support virtio networking (the most efficient).   Alternatively you can change the network card type in the VM definition to be one that Windows already has drivers for.

You could also use the virtio image file to install virtio disk drivers if you want to use those instead of SATA.

Edited by itimpi
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

There should be a virtio iso image file available which has the drivers to support virtio networking (the most efficient).   Alternatively you can change the network card type in the VM definition to be one that Windows already has drivers for.

Where can I find that drivers? Are they already in unraid?