Black Friday - 1TB or 2TB WD External Drive $69 @ Target

flips

Hey Gang:

Long time since last post, but couldn't resist the $69 WD Elements (bought 1@ Big/Little).  Yes, the big one is a WD Green Drive (WD20EADS) and easy to get out of the case and my drive had a whopping icon/jpeg on it when I plugged it in. 

I understand the little drive may not be standard from several posts online, but I'm not planning on using it for anything but portable backup/storage. 

To get the drive out of the case, I slipped a "plastic" end of a scapel or spudger along one long side, then the other and voila, no marks on the case at all.  USB to Sata/power screwed to bottom of drive, no jumpers, defined as Primary Partition (in disk manager Win7).

Darn cheap & if still available, heck of a way to build a Server.

Have fun  ;D

Dave

I don't see how to tell what kind of hard drive it is by looking in device manager. Anyone have  a description or link on how to tell what drive is inside?

Here is a bit of a general guide without pics just steps.(also, this is just plugged in hanging off of a windows 7 PC,)

start orb > devices and Printers > External HD (which ever one if you have multiples) > Right Click > Properties > Hardware Tab > Should be listed there. :)

Hope this helps.

Another way is just to get to the device manager (Just type it in at the bottom like you are searching for something). Then look at your disk drives. Should be at the top and listed there.

I'm headed to Target today since mine supposedly still has some in stock.  How can you tell which is which from the box?  Or is it only when you open it (the box, not the actual unit) that you get a clue?

The ones that are made in Thailand are almost certainly EARS drives. The ones that are made in Malaysia are probably Caviar Black.