Trial Version

16 hours ago, Richard Fennimore said:

Is the trial version fully functional?

The only difference between trial and full pro license is the ability to start the array with no internet connection. The trial version must have internet to validate, the full license has no such limit. Doesn't effect most people, but it's something to remember if you happen to have a flaky internet connection.

Notice I didn't say it needed internet to RUN, just start. If your internet goes down after the array is started, Unraid will continue to function, except things like community apps that need internet obviously won't work. Your local data will still be available as long as you don't stop the array.

3 hours ago, jonathanm said:

The only difference between trial and full pro license is the ability to start the array with no internet connection. The trial version must have internet to validate, the full license has no such limit. Doesn't effect most people, but it's something to remember if you happen to have a flaky internet connection.

Notice I didn't say it needed internet to RUN, just start. If your internet goes down after the array is started, Unraid will continue to function, except things like community apps that need internet obviously won't work. Your local data will still be available as long as you don't stop the array.

Thanks jonathanm. I have lots of experience using Type-2 hypervisors (VMware, Parallels, Virtualbox, etc). I have very little experience with Type-1 hypervisors though. I've tried out XCP-ng XenServer, Proxmox, VMware vSphere, and now Unraid. I have not tried oVirt yet. I am sure they all have their pros and cons, but is Unraid in some way better than these other offerings, and if so, how is it better? I would like to be able to run Unraid server VM's with a local monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound, etc. Is this possible? If so, I would purchase the full version. I would be willing to pay an Unraid expert to help me setup a few VM's. Is anyone interested? Thanks.

For a good view of what unraid is all about, I recommend setting aside some time to watch some youtube videos by @SpaceInvaderOne, he has some excellent overview and tutorial videos covering many of the core principles and add ons that are available. Keep in mind that the videos have been produced over a good stretch of time, so earlier videos may have a slightly different appearance to the unraid GUI, and techniques may have slightly different details.

Unraid is evolving to meet new needs, technology and hardware. The core NAS has been mature for a long time, but the VM and docker functionality has been added more recently and is maturing nicely. The core technology used for VM's is https://www.linux-kvm.org/