Stopping a share from using a drive

G Speed

Something is wonky with one of my disk

Anywho, it's part of my 4k movies share.. I'd rather keep the drive in the array, even if it will fail.. It's not critical data.. and I'm only losing 150gb...
My 4k share is set to fill to 80gbs

Is this a bad idea on a 8tb disk.. using btrfs?

If it is let me know, if not.. how can I stop data from getting transferred to that drive 'disk 2", but keep it in the 4k share?

Hope this makes sense?

2 minutes ago, G Speed said:

i*f t is let me know, if not.. how can I stop data from getting transferred to that drive 'disk 2", but keep it in the 4k share

If you go into the settings for the share you can add disk2 to the list of excluded drives.    This will stop new files for that share being written to the that disk (although any existing ones will still show up for read purposes).

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you go into the settings for the share you can add disk2 to the list of excluded drives.    This will stop new files for that share being written to the that disk (although any existing ones will still show up for read purposes).

I assumed that, but I wasn't sure :)

Thanks!

8 hours ago, G Speed said:

I'd rather keep the drive in the array, even if it will fail.. It's not critical data.. and I'm only losing 150gb...

Keep in mind that if one of your "good" drives fail unexpectedly, that questionable drive will most likely fail during the rebuild process and torpedo your chances of recovering any data from either failed drive. During a rebuild, all drives must read perfectly across their whole capacity regardless of how much is in use for files.

It's really not a good idea to keep any marginal or questionable drives in the array.