Kernel Panic - Not Syncing Errors after updating to 6.8

fkick

Hi all,

Updated my Unraid install to 6.8 today and started getting Kernel Panics at boot. I thought it was the flash drive and tried a replacement, but I'm still getting kernel panics on the replacement. Attached is an image of what I'm seeing when booting. Reverting the original flash drive back down to 6.7.2 seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_8169.jpg

• Like 1

I had the exact same experience and error going from 6.72 to 6.8.

I reverted by plugging my usb key into a windows machine and copying all the "previous" version folder contents into the root folder.

I then tried the upgrade again and had the same failure as before.

After this I tried a fresh install of 6.8 (after formatting my usb) and then copied my backup "config" folder contents into the fresh install. Same panic message.

For now I have reverted to 6.72 because there is clearly something very wrong with 6.8.

Edited by noobraider

Try to recreate the flash drive manually:

Backup your flash drive then open a command prompt window as administrator, then type, in this order:

-diskpart
-list disk
-select disk x (x=your flash drive)
-clean
-create partition primary
-format fs=fat32 label=UNRAID quick
-active
-assign
-exit

-close cmd window
-Unzip Unraid release to flash drive and restore the config folder from the flash backup
-execute make_bootable as admin

I followed the steps above (which was only slightly different than the clean install I tried before in the "Getting Started" guide) and still get the same "not syncing/VFS" error.

For now it seems like 6.8 is out of the question on my system until the underlying issues get resolved.

For what it's worth I'm also using an intel i3, same as the original poster. No issues found in memtest. Safe mode also not working.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The problem is that the issue looks to be hardware related rather than software to there is no guarantee that a future release will fix your problem.

I don't believe this is a hardware failure problem.

A clean flash drive with 6.8 also doesn't work for me, however, I did do some early RC testing with RC 1 and 2, and I was able to boot. This am I tracked down my flash backups with 6.8RC2 on it and I'm able to boot fine, however if I try a 6.8RC4 flash drive (I don't have a RC3 copy) I'm getting the same kernel panic issues as above. So something that changed from RC2 to RC4 seems to be the issue.

All right, so I was able to get my system back up today and running 6.8... here's what I did.

1. Create a new USB key and enable UEFI boot (and turn on UEFI boot in my BIOS). 

2. Following the instructions at the post below, I added root=sda to my syslinux/syslinux.cfg file.

3. Attempt a boot without moving my old Config folder over.

4. Once that boot was successful, move the old Config over to the new drive and reboot.

Previous to Unraid 6.8, I was not using UEFI boot, but for some reason it appears it's required in the new kernel.

Hope that helps!