All Data Missing After Rebuild

I have 1 parity drive, and 2 storage drives on my server. 1 of the storage drives stopped being recognized by unraid. I could not get it recognized even after reformatting it in unraid. I tested it on a different machine and had no issues. Eventually after removing and re-adding it to unraid multiple times, it recognized it and triggered a data rebuild. 12 hours later, the array is working fine, but it's missing all the data from the disk. I take it that somehow removing it deleted the contents from the parity disk? Any way to get the data back or is it too late for that?

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

You said that you formatted it?    Doing so would write an empty file system to the disk and update parity to reflect this.  

If the disk was being emulated the format would do this to the emulated disk.    Whenever a rebuild happens it will restore exactly what can be seen on the emulated disk.

The error I was getting with the drive was "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout". Based on what I read online, stopping the array and reformatting it was what I thought would fix it. If this were to happen again, what exactly should I do to prevent data loss?