Upgrade server and keep data : Solved

NoobSpy

Hi,

I am seeking to upgrade all hardware except drives (motherboard, memory, cpu etc.). I do not want to lose all my data.

My question is can I build my new server swap in the drives, plugin the USB and get it up and running?

TIA for you answers.

Edited by NoobSpy
Question answered :)

I have done it more than once.

Unraid mostly doesn't care what hardware it is on, it tries to figure that out each time it boots. Some controllers can give issues, and if you have any VMs with hardware passthrough these might need to be worked on with new hardware.

As long as it sees the same license key on flash, and the same disks assignments that are recorded on flash, it will try to do everything it was doing before the hardware change.

• Like 1

To guarantee a minimum of problems, do a screen capture of the disk assignments on the Main page.  Make a backup of the Flash drive if you haven't made one since the last time you made changes to the server. 

Having these two items at hand will virtually guarantee that everything will go smoothly.  (One of the many corollaries of Murphy's Law--  IF you have all the tools to fix a potential problem, it will never occur.) 

• Like 1