Why unRAID is so slow transferring files over the network

mhweb

I'm testing my new unRAID server, and copying files over the network are really slow. 

I know that adding SSD for cache will improve writing speeds, but without cache, I was expected 40 to 50 MB/s, and right now, copying files from PC to server doesn't go higher than 11 MB/s, why? Any special setting that I need to enable?

4 minutes ago, mhweb said:

I'm testing my new unRAID server, and copying files over the network are really slow. 

I know that adding SSD for cache will improve writing speeds, but without cache, I was expected 40 to 50 MB/s, and right now, copying files from PC to server doesn't go higher than 11 MB/s, why? Any special setting that I need to enable?

I would carefully check your network cabling.    That sounds suspiciously like what you should expect if you are only getting 100 Mbps.    I have seen it happen unexpectedly if you have a bad connection in a LAN cable which then silently degrades to only supporting 100 Mbps instead of the expected 1 GBPs.

• Like 1

You were right, the connection in the switch was questionable. Now the speed has improved.

However, I'm surprised, because I was copying from a Windows PC, and I paused the copy, then when I resumed the speed went up to 440MB/s, but now then copying stuck on 99% for a few minutes.