We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Using 4G instead of cable Internet Connection?

It struck me that one of the biggest problems of accessing the home server from the outside is (in the UK at  least) the slow upload speeds with most providers.

I have a 100M connection, but it only uploads at 10M.

Kind of counter-intuitive, but my 4g connnection sitting here at my keyboard is 49M down and 38M up....

Which suggests that is far more suitable for server access than a hardwire.....

Or, is it not that simple?

Are those speeds echoed elsewhere in the world?

HNY

Paul

To my knowledge, Unraid does not support using a WiFi connection for network access. However, if you can get a wired connection to your 4G router (whatever device that may be) then I see no reason you couldn't use it.

I'd imagine that those speeds are from your mobile phone. If you had a dedicated hot-spot (i.e. your server's connection wouldn't go down every time you leave for the office, shopping or a night out), and some way link that hot-spot into an access point that could then be hard-wired to "back-port" the signal into a router and could then wire your server into that, I'm sure it would work just fine. I'm not the networking guru to tell you what parts could be used, though.

Yeh, that's exactly what I'm thinking about......

I bought my son a 4G router when he lived in a rural area with poor fixed connections, and it worked pretty well even though the 3/4G was a bit sketchy, but not as bad as the copper............

Just need to decide whether the better upload speed justifies the cost.....