New install hangs on boot

cnim

I have an existing system that currently runs Windows that I would like to switch to Unraid. None of the hardware is new, and has been working with windows for a long time. While booting Unraid (6.8.0), the system will hang at various different points while linux sets up the devices. When the Unraid flash drive is booted in non-uefi, the cursor continues to blink, so I don't think it's just the display hanging.

It most frequently hangs on "Registered PHC clock", but since it has hung on at least 5 other places, that might just be a timing issue.

System Info

• MOBO - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel H370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini ITX Intel
  • CPU - Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W 
  • RAM - 2x Kingston Technology HyperX Fury Black 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM
  • SATA - 1 SSD and 4 magnetic disks

Things I've already tried

• Two different USBs drives
  • Live booting ubuntu from same drives (works fine)
  • All the USB ports on the back of the MOBO
  • Checking and unchecking "UEFI boot allowed" when writing flash drive
  • Choosing both UEFI boot and BIOS boot when booting
  • Disconnecting all drives and SSD
  • Disconnecting the USB keyboard 
  • Disconnecting ethernet
  • Updating the BIOS to newest
  • Waiting a long time after it hangs

IMG_20200105_164543.jpg

IMG_20200105_164843.jpg

IMG_20200105_170633.jpg

IMG_20200105_171231.jpg

IMG_20200105_171704.jpg

Yes, I tried all four boot options (gui x safe mode) a number of times both from UEFI boot and BIOS boot. 

It seems like it freezes before the gui would even start, so not sure if it would matter.

I tried googling general slackware solutions but haven't found anything. Unraid is slackware, right?

Would trying and earlier version of unraid be useful?

I know you said you tried all USB ports, and I looked up that mobo. It does have USB2. USB2 is more reliable for booting. Just thought I would mention that since it wasn't actually said on this thread.

What kind of flash drives were you trying?

Maybe you didn't try all of the different things you mentioned on those USB2 ports. Maybe try them again but only USB2.