Final Cut Pro - Choose a local, SAN, or supported SMB error

Bkess84

Good evening,

I searched the forums but could not find an answer. I apologize in advance if this is not possible or not the correct forum.

I have an Unraid Server currently running nothing but Plex. My main computer is connected directly over a 10gb network line in my home.  

I'm trying to migrate my Final Cut Pro libraries from an external Western Digital drive to my Unraid Server but am getting the following error: "Choose a local, SAN, or supported SMB location" within Final Cut.  I believe this has to do with my settings.,,,

I created a folder in the "Shares" section in Unraid and enabled the attached settings.  

Am I missing something or is this not possible? 

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.39.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.50.19 PM.png

This is no UNRAID error. Normaly projects are stored only local.

But its possible to use it directly from the server if the drives and connection are fast enough.

There are some guides to show how its done.

I have tried it by my self, but the performance for me was bad. For now i'm using unraid for the video files (In the final cut settings you can choose "leave video files on original destination" or something like this...)

For cache and rendering I use a local SSD in my machine...

Then I only have to import/link the files, which are on unraid, to my project...

• 2 years later...
On 1/23/2020 at 8:23 AM, Bkess84 said:

Good evening,

I searched the forums but could not find an answer. I apologize in advance if this is not possible or not the correct forum.

I have an Unraid Server currently running nothing but Plex. My main computer is connected directly over a 10gb network line in my home.  

I'm trying to migrate my Final Cut Pro libraries from an external Western Digital drive to my Unraid Server but am getting the following error: "Choose a local, SAN, or supported SMB location" within Final Cut.  I believe this has to do with my settings.,,,

I created a folder in the "Shares" section in Unraid and enabled the attached settings.  

Am I missing something or is this not possible? 

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.39.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.50.19 PM.png

Hey Buddy!

I've found the solution to the problem. It's given in this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207128

So what you need to do is, copy the command given in the link and do not forget to add commas "," like this: 'vfs objects = catia, fruit, streams_xattr'

Then go to the smb settings in the unraid and add this code to smb extras and then et voila, you should be able to save libraries in your Unraid.

Cheers!