Constant crashing during times of high disk I/0

Jared24

Hello, 

For a couple of weeks my server has been crashing, typically when there is a larger file transfer going on but it can also just happen unprovoked (perhaps mover running overnight, but there have been nights where it crashed and mover did not need to run). This happens with Windows File Explorer via SMB, UnBALANCE, and occasionally MC. I usually have zero issues copying from a share to my Windows machine, however the opposite as well as share to share causes crashes frequently.

There is also weird behavior where my file transfers have a consistent pattern of dropping down to 5.54MBps, periodically shooting back up to 120-150MBps. Usually when this occurs, I expect my whole server to crash at some random point through the transfer.

Things I have double-checked that I thought to be the cause:

• faulty flash drive
  • damaged sata data cable
  • loose cables
  • a malfunctioning cache drive (even formatted from btrfs to xfs)
  • problem still occurs with no pci cards attached.

Specs: B540M Aorus M  F50 BIOS

Ryzen 2700X stock, 16GB 3200 Ripjaws

I'm unsure of what step to take next, I have attached diagnostics, two logs of when the crash occurred, and a screenshot of the behavior I was talking about.

Thank you!

media-diagnostics-20200130-0926.zip

error message 1.30.txt
718774612_errormessage1_27.thumb.PNG.5587683d8a5e9e3376b1ad02e81b1a22.PNG
2085223930_bugcapture.thumb.png.3cdaffa4a2f5ecab24a5006fbe975bba.png

Diags are just after rebooting, so not much to see, see here to enable syslog server/mirror, it might catch something more, still a couple of observations:

25 minutes ago, Jared24 said:

Ryzen 2700X

Ryzen on Linux can lock up due to issues with c-states, make sure bios is up to date, then look for "Power Supply Idle Control" (or similar) and set it to "typical current idle" (or similar), or completely disable C-sates.

More info here:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/670-rc1-system-hard-lock-r354/

27 minutes ago, Jared24 said:

16GB 3200 Ripjaws

This a big no-no, don't overclock the RAM, some Ryzen systems are known to be unstable and even corrupt data, respect max speed based on config:

1247840809_2ndgen.jpg.a5662bb6c11f9d679ba03ea8e8cc3454.jpg

2 hours ago, RedReddington said:

Maybe related to my problems.

Can you confirm this by watching the video in the last post I uploaded in my topic?

I looked through your post and I didn't see a video, however your description sounds a lot similar to the issue i'm having, especially when you mentioned that windows file explorer freezes up completely. 

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Diags are just after rebooting, so not much to see, see here to enable syslog server/mirror, it might catch something more, still a couple of observations:

Ryzen on Linux can lock up due to issues with c-states, make sure bios is up to date, then look for "Power Supply Idle Control" (or similar) and set it to "typical current idle" (or similar), or completely disable C-sates.

More info here:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/670-rc1-system-hard-lock-r354/

This a big no-no, don't overclock the RAM, some Ryzen systems are known to be unstable and even corrupt data, respect max speed based on config:

1247840809_2ndgen.jpg.a5662bb6c11f9d679ba03ea8e8cc3454.jpg

I see, thanks for the insight, I will enable syslog server/mirror. When I get home I'll look out for the "Power Supply Idle Control" bios setting, however my bios is at it's most recent version (F50). 

When you mentioned how my RAM shouldn't be overclocked, that includes the XMP/AMP profile speed listed on the packaging as well right? As in I should simply disable XMP or whatever the AMD equivalent is called and stick with the config above?

I had always been told that Ryzen loves fast ram, I didn't imagine it would cause instability but I can definitely see how it could be the cause of my problem.

2 hours ago, Jared24 said:

I looked through your post and I didn't see a video, however your description sounds a lot similar to the issue i'm having, especially when you mentioned that windows file explorer freezes up completely. 

https://gofile.io/?c=MoxnrJ

Password is: unraidsmb

Adblocker needs to be disabled on this site for the password prompt to appear.

Edited by RedReddington
  • 2 weeks later...

On 1/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, johnnie.black said:

Just to keep this up to date, I have successfully gotten UnRaid to stop randomly crashing per johnnie.black's suggestions. (I am on day 14 of uptime!) I am not sure if it was solved by disabling my AMP profile, or changing my "Power Supply Idle Control" to "typical current idle", or a combination of the two. Regardless, thank so much!

On 2/3/2020 at 3:49 AM, RedReddington said:

This was an interesting read, hopefully whatever is causing this SMB issue specifically on UnRaid can be investigated further.  I am however very relieved that my UnRaid crashes and that annoying issue are unrelated.

For the time-being, I have been performing my file transfers using mc in the terminal window. But please keep me up to date if you find out any more info!

Edited by Jared24