Poor VM Performance and App Crashes

Guffie

Hi,

I have been chasing an issue for the better part of 12 months where I have been having really poor VM performance and I have tried everything, new motherboard with 2 x Xeon CPU's, 1866Mhz RAM, more RAM, CPU Pinning, etc. etc. and I kept following amazing guides here on the Community.

Today I finally found the cause and a resolution! Not too often do people post the fix and I hope that by me doing this it may help someone else.

It turns out that the size of my cache was about 600gb but my cache drive was only 500gb. Because unraid maintains a "minimum" space that I didn't know about I always thought that I had about 20gb free. Over the weekend I bought a 1TB cache because my old one was starting to get bad sectors, I of course bought an SSD this time to try boost performance. When the mover finally finished I saw the drive size and Googled to find that I have been sharing what I thought was cached with my cached drive and my array.

My god my VM's work properly for the first time in 12 months! I really hope this post helps someone like this resolution has helped me.