Won't boot

Dal1980

Hi Guys

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm asking, I've had no problems for a long time and I can't remember what the boot process and GUI options are supposed to look like :)

I've booted and ended up with a screen that ends in 

---[ end trace f512a1932a3868c6 ]---

or similar

Regardless of what I choose (Unraid OS (first option for booting) or Unraid OS GUI safe mode (no plugins)

Is it supposed to get past this?

I recently made a copy of the USB stick as I was getting a "LZMA data is corrupt" message after I tried to reboot the other day, I've since copied over my USB drive to a new USB drive and successfully ran "make_bootable.bat" in admin mode.

Ver 6.7.0

Not quite sure what to do at this stage, any suggestions?

Log attached is from running Unraid OS GUI safe mode (no plugins) a moment ago although that just looks like the log from two days ago which is when I had the problem start.

syslog.txt

Just threw my original USB back in and selected the Unraid OS GUI safe mode (no plugins) option. I got the following error:

---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VPS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]---

Which was much more exciting that the last error type 😋

Anyway tried the normal boot "Unraid OS" and surprised to find no "LZMA data is corrupt" message which was something I couldn't get around the other day after so many reboots. I now get the normal ---[ end trace 98ec..... ]--- message

I still however can not see this on my network 😞

logs from this last boot attached... wait, that's the same log again from the 6th Feb.. wtf?

syslog.txt

Thanks Frank1940

I used a different USB drive as suggested, formatted it FAT32 with the name of "UNRAID"

I downloaded the USB Flash Creator for windows 10 then remembered that I'd had problems in the past with this finding flash drives for some reason.

I downloaded unRAIDServer-6.8.2-x86_64.zip and extracted, then copied the files across to the USB drive (H: in this case)

Opened Windows Command line (with admin rights), changed to drive H: and ran the make_bootable.bat. I must have missed this question previously but I said 'no' to "Permit UEFI boot mode" since I'm running a pre-UEFI BIOS on this unit (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/specifications/) with my old i7-960

Booted up the server and everything was fine until it froze at "pci 000:00:09.0: enabling Extended Tags" and didn't go any further

Rebooted to try again

Managed to get all the way through until it was asking for login

Powered down (single press of power which was confirmed with a beep and waited until power off)

Removed USB drive and copied over the config 'folder' from the copy I made of the USB the other day

Safely removed USB drive from Windows 10 and tried to boot the server again

Yay! Thank you so much😁

Ok so got back to login and I could reach my server on my assigned IP 👍

I have showing I have been blacklisted 🙀

Blacklisted USB Flash GUID

This USB Flash boot device has been blacklisted. This can occur as a result of transfering your Registration key to a replacement USB Flash device, and you are currently booted from your old USB Flash device.

A USB Flash device may also be blacklisted if there is no serial number, or if we discover the serial number is not unique (this is common with USB card readers).

For more information, please Contact Support.

I have obviously purchased unRaid but I guess this is because I'm using a different USB device (and it is a card reader)

What would be the next step please?

Many thanks

Dal

Thanks itimpi

I see, kinda hoping this wasn't the case but fair enough, I'll try that if it's the easiest fix

If it turns out to be the device that's got issues then I'm assuming that I can just look up a list of trusted suppliers and buy a proper fixed dongle rather than a card reader (like my original one I was using) and somehow register that GUID with my account (free) right?

Anyway trying now

Edit/Update: Oh I See: that's why the USB Flash Creator didn't work when I tried before

Edited by Dal1980
Epiphany

Yay, the USB stick seems fine, ran it through Windows disk scanner (which I know is probably not going to be great) and found no errors.

I've lost a disk though... SATA 1 is reporting responding issues from POST. I wonder what happened there (coincidence). I need to power down and investigate if SATA 1 is connected to the disk that isn't showing... Id be very surprised confused if it isn't. Seems like it's getting power, I can feel the disk spinning (vibrations), maybe SATA data cable is bad.

If I have 2x 6TB HDD Parity disks, 2x 250GB SSD Cache drives and

1x 4TB HDD & 1x 2TB HDD for data array I'm presuming that I could just switch out that 2TB (which is the one that is currently missing) with a brand new 4TB (NAS) HDD and the Array will rebuild automagically?

Edited by Dal1980
Forgot some labels

Yeah - 2TB disk looks to be an issue, either that or I have controller/SATA port issues, unfortunately, I don't have any more on this board to choose from.

Fortunately, I'm upgrading very soon and I need to buy a replacement for that 2TB anyway so plan is to bang the new 4TB in to replace that 2TB which will confirm if it was the SATA port that is having the trouble. I'll then be building the new system in the background until the big day I switch the hardware over.