Drive temps disappear after smartmontools install.

JaseNZ

After installing the following command into my Telegraf container so it monitors nvme temps I loose the drive temps on the main page and or dashboard all I get for all drives is a * , Curious more than anything on why this would be affecting UNRAID.

• docker exec -it telegraf /bin/bash
  • apk update
  • apk add smartmontools
  • exit
  • docker restart telegraf
30 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Are you sure the drives are spun up?    It is normal for * to be displayed if they are spun down.

Yes they are all spun up. I can run those commands in console then if you go back to main page or dashboard you can watch all the temps disappear.

So rebooting and spinning up the array produces the first picture. Running the commands for the docker as you have to if you reboot then you get the second picture after about 2 mins. Quite strange.

1653521137_ScreenShot2020-02-09at5_23_36PM.thumb.png.dc5aa1afb7b89724cb6687f199096b5c.png

557658070_ScreenShot2020-02-09at5_26_29PM.thumb.png.b3cff3b5b3ff1ff0a4d3586b0dca571c.png

Edited by JaseNZ
  • 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is staying safe. But I am running into a little problem with my Unraid server and wanted to see if anyone could help me with this. All of the sudden my HD temps are dropping off and just on 5 of my drives and I cannot seem to figure this out. When I spin down the drives and bring them back up, it will show it again and than disappear again. I am still new to Unraid and not sure what to do now. I have attached my diagnostics to this post so everyone can take a look. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advacnce.

extraodinary-diagnostics-20200502-1713.zip

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.20.38 PM.png

Edited by acozad1
1 hour ago, acozad1 said:

All of the sudden my HD temps are dropping off and just on 5 of my drives

If you look at the SMART reports for the affected disks in your diagnostics you'll see that the files are mostly empty and that smartctl does not understand the device type "aacraid". It looks like your Adaptec controller is not passing SMART information.

EDIT: In fact, none of your disks have valid SMART reports so I'm not sure why some of them have temperatures that can be displayed.

Edited by John_M

I would need to know more about your controller. I'm not familiar with modern Adaptec controllers - the last one I used was an ISA card with a 50-way ribbon cable to the WORM drive. Is it running as an HBA in JBOD mode, not as a RAID controller? I know that people have struggled with Areca controllers in the past to get them to pass SMART instructions. You have to pass a parameter along with the smartctl command (the -d or --device= option) to specify the device type. I use LSI/Avago/Broadcom HBAs that work without any special parameters.

You could try this: In the Main page of the GUI click on one of the disks attached to your Adaptec controller and in the page that's specific to that disk scroll down to the SMART settings section and from the SMART Controller Type drop-down choose Adaptec and fill in any necessary parameters (turn on the GUI help for more information), then click Apply. Repeat for all affected disks. I can't test this because my controllers need the Default setting, but it should get you heading in the right direction. If the majority of your disks are connected to the Adaptec card you could change the equivalent global setting under Settings -> Disk Settings and then customise any other disks individually.

1680229845_SMARTControllerType.png.ec6bd38be8a892bba013a26e382cf244.png

Good Morning,

So, I did fix this problem this morning. I tried your suggestion and was unsuccessful. So I went into the bios of the controller and found out that I had old firmware on the card. I updated the firmware to the latest version, provided by SemiMicro. I rebooted Unraid and still had the same issue. I than changed the default from adaptec to auto and BAM. Smart information appeared. I really started to get nervous thinking I really screwed up my card or Unraid. I also included my diagnostics if you wanted to look at them.

Thank you for your all your help, time, and suggestions on this.

Stay safe and well.

Screenshot (1).png

extraodinary-diagnostics-20200503-1012.zip

So it looks like I spoke to soon. It seems like some of the drives are spinning down. But showing that the are spun up in the menu. So when I go into the drive and spin it up, but it is not staying spun up for some reason.

Any thoughts?

Edited by acozad1