Slow Network speed on VM

MarkP

Windows 10 VM that was performing flawlessly suddenly is experiencing slow network speeds. 

Speedtest from the affected VM shows download speeds of 1.5Mbps and upload speeds of 36Mbps. 

testing from another machine is 300Mbps

testing from unraid speedtest CLI utility is 300Mbps

testing from newly created Win10 VM is 300Mbps

Created new Win10VM and attached vdisk.img from affected VM and speed is 1.5Mbps.

Updated virtio drivers to latest drivers.  virtio-win-0.1.173.iso

That wouldn't explain why a newly created VM is speedy.    Unless there is an incompatibility with VM's that were created on an older version of unraid.   But yes.   I did notice it shortly after an unraid upgrade. 

Edited by MarkP
add
18 hours ago, MarkP said:

Windows 10 VM that was performing flawlessly suddenly is experiencing slow network speeds. 

testing from newly created Win10 VM is 300Mbps

Created new Win10VM and attached vdisk.img from affected VM and speed is 1.5Mbps.

It looks obvious to me that the problem is on that win10 vdisk. Could be something like you are on a VPN and your ISP has decided to throttle your speed through VPN.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Yep, missed that part, I have a very old Win10 VM and speeds are normal and constant for years now, so not a general problem, maybe a Windows problem.

I believe you're right.   I can only think that it is a windows issue.   I'll continue to look in that direction. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, did you find a solution?

Seems I got something similar that started out of the blue the other day without any updates or changes that I know of (have not yet installed 6.8.3).

I am running a win 10 VM with passthrough nvme so no vdisk and I just noticed that youtube videos started buffering and going down to 144p so ran a speedtest and got 100 download and 0,8 upload while unraid server gets 100/100.

I also get weird behaviour when uploading files from win10 vm to unraid SMB shares.

It just stays stuck on Calculating for a long time then gives an network error while it does look like the file gets uploaded.

This is definitely something with windows or this particular VM since my linux distros doesn't experience this behaviour.

Update

Seems like updating virtio drivers solved my problem

Edited by Zilched