Solved: New drive failure question on removal, not a replace.

Hi everyone,

I installed a new drive that I had ran a preclear on and checked out fine. After adding it to the array, within a 3 week window it failed. UnRAID now has it set to "Device is Disabled, Contents Emulated". The issue I have at the moment is that the storage pool is now unprotected and the drive that failed is empty, I haven't added any shares to that drive yet. UnRAID failed it when it did a parity check and the drive failed to read.

How do I go about in removing it from the array and restore parity to the pool of storage drives with the drive gone, can this be done? again the drive is empty.

Thanks for any help on this,
Ross

Edited by rosswaters

Chances are high the drive is fine. Unraid disables a drive when a write fails, and that can happen due to controller, cable, PSU, or other issues not actually being a bad drive.

Attach diagnostics to your next post if you want a more educated guess.

If you really do want to stop using that data slot, then tools, new config, preserve all, go to main tab and set that slot to none, then start the array and rebuild parity. It will take the same amount of time as just reenabling the drive though, so I'd be sure of what's going on before going forward with any actions.

Thanks Jonathan, 

I will look into the log. The fact that it failed to read makes me leary, I am going to just toss it as far as being a member of unRAID. I've been using WD 8TB RE drives and Seagate SAS drives. I had this Seagate USB drive that was given to me that was just over two months old and thought I would add it. I will stick with known good drives that are used for NAS hardware and stop playing with desktop versions :)

Thanks again for the steps on removing it. 

Ross

2 hours ago, rosswaters said:

Thanks Jonathan, 

I will look into the log. The fact that it failed to read makes me leary, I am going to just toss it as far as being a member of unRAID. I've been using WD 8TB RE drives and Seagate SAS drives. I had this Seagate USB drive that was given to me that was just over two months old and thought I would add it. I will stick with known good drives that are used for NAS hardware and stop playing with desktop versions :)

Thanks again for the steps on removing it. 

Ross

The vast majority of the time when a drive gets disabled it is caused by an external factor (e.g. cabling) but we would need the diagnostics zip File to. determine if this is likely to be the case here.