Unraid gpu build advice

Hamz

Hello,

I'm fairly new to unraid and to be honest new  computer building.

I've recently taken an interest in building a computer after wanting to implement a plex server in my house.

I've built my first  computer with the following components:

Asus x570 tuf motherboard 

Ryzen 3200g cpu

Corsair ddr4 16gb lpx 

Samsung evo plus 500gb nvme (cache)

7 data drives

Here is where I need help, i want to purchase a gpu for plex transcoding (plex is running from a docker container) I also want to run a VM and want a seperate gpu for that as I've read you cant share a single gpu with vm when running docker and vm simultaneously. Would this be possible?

Can I have 2 gpu separately assigned to my plex in docker and my vm and run them simultaneously?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

for what i've read yes you can.

The difficulty is to choose the right gpu.

For plex you'll want a nvidia gpu. 

For the vm it depends on the vm type. I have also a thread for finding the right gpus. 

But i've read you don't want twice the same gpu.

For now i retain a GTX 1050ti for using with dockers (plex and tdarr)

But for the second i don't which gpu to choose.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:13 PM, Hamz said:

Here is where I need help, i want to purchase a gpu for plex transcoding (plex is running from a docker container) I also want to run a VM and want a seperate gpu for that as I've read you cant share a single gpu with vm when running docker and vm simultaneously. Would this be possible?

Can I have 2 gpu separately assigned to my plex in docker and my vm and run them simultaneously?

Pass-through means exclusive use. So you need 1 GPU dedicated to your VM and 1 GPU dedicated to your Plex docker. No mix-and-match.

For transcoding, if you need more than 2 streams, the Radeon P2000 is highly regarded as a good option (NOT cheapest but good value for money).

If you don't need more than 2 streams, then anything GTX 1050 and up would work but I would not go lower than the 1050 Ti.

There's a website with estimate max number of streams: https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding but note that their calculation is based on a rather low bit rate and 1080p to 720p transcode (i.e. very optimistic figures). Real life performance is about 1/2 to 2/3 their estimates.

For the VM, I would not consider AMD due to the reset issue that AMD is not fixing. There are user-built custom kernel on here with the Vega / Navi reset patch which may or may not work so YMMV.

I think Nvidia is a better option especially since you plan to have a GPU dedicated to Unraid. That makes pass-through a lot less problematic.