Advice for gpu

caplam

Hello everybody,

I have an unraid server running on a hp z620 (2xE52650 v2 total 32 threads with 128Gb ram)

It runs 6 or 7 vms (4 debian, 1 W8, 1 or 2 mac os high sierra and catalina)

It also runs 45 docker containers.

For now i have an old nvidia quadro nvs280.

As i recently installed tdarr container to reencode my whole library i plan to add a pascal gpu (probably a gtx1050 ti to save my budget). This gpu will be used by tdarr and plex containers for transcoding purpose. Right now, with only cpu encoding i'll have to wait 4 months before my library will be reencoded. So i hope to accelerate that and have the ability to transcode with plex (not a big need as most of my clients can read hevc streams). 

For what i have read the gpu can be shared with several containers and nvidia choice is not questionnable.

The second part of my problem is the macos vm.

My unraid server is in the basement. I work in my office on 2012 mba which i like but it's sometimes running out of ram and cpu power. So i would like to transfer my desktop environnement to a vm. For now it's working with splashtop streamer or nomachine but it's not really fluid so i don't really use it.

So i have questions about the config.

Would i be able to access remotely and flawlessly my mac os vm with a dedicated gpu ?

If so what gpu do i choose ? Would an amd one be a better choice ?

Would it run with a nvidia one (and lsio nvidia driver ) without problem?

I'm not a gpu guy so i know almost nothing about it espcially in mac os.

And i was about to forget, do i need 1 or more dummy dp or hdmi plug ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.😀

i think i will go with a quadro p2000 as i'd like to preserve slots on mobo. The p2000 is a single slot high.

Inno3d made a gtx1050ti single slot but i can't find one at a good price.

So i have to find a gpu compatible for passing trough to a mac os vm and i'd rather find a single slot gpu.

The HP Z620 has not much extension slots.

1 minute ago, caplam said:

So i have to find a gpu compatible for passing trough to a mac os vm and i'd rather find a single slot gpu.

The HP Z620 has not much extension slots.

There aren't that many AMD single-slot GPU out side of the Radeon Pro. Compatibility with Mac is basically a coin toss as to when Apple decides something should stop working.

So I would recommend you spend the money on upgrading your Mac instead.

If someone uses a Mac, there ought to be a reason to insist on using a Mac, which generally makes running Mac VM not a sensible idea.

1. Those without tech skill - so trying to make a MacOS VM work will just be a waste of time
  2. Those who like shiny things - you already pay premium for it then just accept it and fork out more money to your beloved Apple
  3. Sound engineers - ok, I feel for ya.