connecting to unraid or my network remotely

jgs2n

This is off topic for unraid but I am interested in seeing what people do.

I run xbmc with unraid and love it.  I am wondering how to connect to my unraid over the internet securely with xbmc when I am on the road.  It would be great to be able to just plug in the xbox and have access to all unraid files.  Is anyone doing something similar to this?  How can it be done securely?  Is windows remote access secure enough?  Is it a problem that my internet connection give me a dynamic IP?  Thanks for any recommendations/ information. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello jgs2n,

I use xbmc as well but I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly.

You take around your xbmc when you travel?  I don't see why you would carry around an XBOX with you during your travels over a laptop?

If this is the case, then the usage of intent would be to stream movies and i doubt this will be a viable solution as your broadband connection would need to have enough UPstream speed to sustain a movie feed out to the internet.  Max xbmc cache is 16MB and wouldn't think that would be hardly enough.

I have my xbmc on a wifi bridge and i've capped it's speed to 5.5Mbps before and it was not fast enough to stream divx movies, at 10Mbps it was fine but I started to see Chops when i used FF using 2X.  48~54Mbps provides a smooth stream up to 8X speeds so some of my divx movies is needing 6Mbps for a proper stream.

If you're traveling, you could consider getting a USB2 - 2.5" USB Hard Drive with a few movies on them and play it off your laptop instead.

I don't think it's the best option to pursue having your unRaid DMZ's off your router to pull movies off of, most upload speeds off of home broadband is not enough to play any movies from.  if it's for mp3 files, then I would just copy a few to the laptop for travels as well.

Take Care,

M

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I was thinking about this was that we frequently go to my parents and it would be nice to have access to movies etc for kids for the weekend.  Just wondering if there was an easy way to do this.  I did not think of the upstream spead.  I think that you are correct that this would be a limiting factor. 

• 2 years later...