New Setup Questions

Hi Guys, new to UnRaid here.. Coming from Synology.  If all works well I will purchase a license, bur right now testing and trying to see if this is the right choice. I have some question.

I will be storing Plex media (not the server, it will be hosted on a separate server), as well as Application ISOs, backups, etc. Setup is

1 – HP DL380p G8 with 64GB RAM, 2x  E5-2640. LSI quad port HBA

1 – NetApp DS4246 Shelf

I do have it up and running, but some things I noticed and / or had questions on.

1 – Server fans are much louder than that are when running ESXi or Win Serv. Anyone had this issue and able to resolve?

2 – Can I put 1 parity drive in now, and then later add the 2nd once in production (home lab).  They will be the highest drive size of course.

3 – I want to also put two cache drives in the server itself, vs the netapp (300GB Intel SSD), but I think the p420i is not allowed to pass as a SATA device so UnRaid can control it from what I have read.  Anyone have any experience on where to change that and/or if you can?  If I can’t then I can put it in the NetApp, but was wondering if I can move it to the server after I get another HBA card.
4 – How hard to Setup integration with AD?  Still need to look at the documents for that, but wondering if anyone had any issues with it?

Any other tips or tricks I should use in my setup?  Anything I should watch out for or not do?

Thanks

Will

Edited by smartkid808
6 hours ago, smartkid808 said:

1 – Server fans are much louder than that are when running ESXi or Win Serv. Anyone had this issue and able to resolve?

See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/34889-dynamix-v6-plugins/    

and look for "System AutoFan".

6 hours ago, smartkid808 said:

2 – Can I put 1 parity drive in now, and then later add the 2nd once in production (home lab).  They will be the highest drive size of course.

Yes

Edited by Frank1940
24 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/34889-dynamix-v6-plugins/    

and look for "System AutoFan".

Yes

I tried that, and doesn't seem to work.  Is there something I should check in iLO or anything? I enable it and click on detect and nothing happens.   I am attaching my logs just incase that would help.

Also, thanks for confirmation on parity drive

Thanks

beast-diagnostics-20200225-1719.zip

Edited by smartkid808
3 hours ago, smartkid808 said:

I tried that, and doesn't seem to work.  Is there something I should check in iLO or anything? I enable it and click on detect and nothing happens. 

IF you look at the Plugin page, you will find a link to the Support Thread.  Post questions there.  But to be fair, I read that I lot of folks have problems with Temperature type applications since MB hardware support is a major factor in getting these things to work. 

10 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

IF you look at the Plugin page, you will find a link to the Support Thread.  Post questions there.  But to be fair, I read that I lot of folks have problems with Temperature type applications since MB hardware support is a major factor in getting these things to work. 

ok, thanks..