Parity HDD Question

FloCe

Hi,

im a newbie at Unraid and started to built a server. I had read a lot of articles about it but im not sure if i get it right.

So unraid copy the files directly to the hdd and write the parity to the parity disks. Right now i use 2 parity disks but for testing but they are normal desktop/archive disks which are very slow.

To improve the speed would it help to use for example

6 Desktop/Archive disks for the array

2 NAS/Server disks (7200rpm) as parity disks

i know, the desktop disks would never be as fast as server disks but like i had understand the redundancy concept it could improve the performance of writing the parity to faster disks.

Am i right? 

Many thanks for your help!

Florian

Might make a small difference in specific situations. such as when you are writing to multiple data disks simultaneously. But the speed of writing any disk in the parity array will be dictated by the speed of the slowest disk involved, whether that disk is the parity disk or a data disk. Probably you won't really notice any difference.

Write speed to the parity array is always going to be slower than the write speed of a single disk, because the data to update parity has to be determined and parity written at the same time.

There are 2 different methods for determining the data to write to parity, and they have tradeoffs. See here for the details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/50397-turbo-write/