Is Unraid right for me?

Greetings -- I do not know much about setting up RAID as I have never done it, but I am trying to work through doing so now.

I completed building a new computer yesterday and did so by salvaging a few old parts (graphics card and some hard drives).

I now have 2x2TB NVMe drives, a 240GB SSD, a 5TB 7200rpm HDD, and 3x 1TB 7200rpm HDD.  I wanted to create a RAID 10 using the 3x1TB drives and taking 1TB from the 5TB to reach the 4 partitions necessary, however, I am stuck figuring out what to do about the 1TB parition on the 5TB drive.  Windows storage spaces eats the whole drive, so that won't work, and I am hesitant to try and create a raid array knowing it may wipe my 5TB drive completely -- which I do not want to do!

I have an x570 aorus master motherboard with built in RAID setup in the BIOS.  Is that sufficient, or do I need unraid or similar program to accomplish my goal of creating a raid array from the 3x1TB (+ whatever I can from the 5TB).

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, mithris said:

I wanted to create a RAID 10

Unraid IS NOT RAID, and RAID controllers are NOT recommended.

Unraid has parity that provides redundancy, but it isn't truly any standard RAID implementation. In many ways, it is actually better than RAID.

Since each data disk in Unraid is independent (no striping) speed of disk access can only be as fast as the single disk. Somewhat slower than that for writes for parity updates.

But, since each data disk in Unraid is independent, you can mix different sized disks, easily replace a disk, and easily add disks.

See this Overview from the wiki and you will be in a better position to ask better questions:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Overview