Trouble after upgrading to 6.8.3 (Solved) Bad Hard Drive

I will try to keep this as short as possible and I apologize but I am a bit of a novice at unRaid.. I wanted to add a new drive to unRaid and in the process I my USB stick took a crap and stopped working. I decided I would start fresh with the newest version (I think I was running 5 before). So I added a new drive (5 total now) and assumed I may have lost some data but hoped for the best. When setting up unRaid I assigned one of the old disks (2TB) as the cache drive not really understanding what the cache drive was for. 

Well I got it up and running and it seemed I still had all of my data. I then decided I would try to move my cache drive (which was full anyway) back to the array. In its place I would put a 60GB ssd as the cache drive. So did some reading on mover and tried my best to set it up and envoked mover to hopefully clear the 2TB cache drive before I moved it back to the array. Everything seemed to be working fine but after about a day mover seems to be stuck. The 2TB cache drive which was full has been showing 1.

24TB used for a week straight now and mover is still running. Also I can no longer access TOWER from window explorer (error message saying windows cannot access \\TOWER. I could access it before I started mover.  I can access the dashboard and control panel from a web browser just fine. But, any changes I try to make to now don't seem to register. For example. Under "Main" Boot device has a warning saying device is set a public share. If I click into the flash drive and try to change the Security to secure or private, it does nothing. It will not change. 

Hopefully I have explained this well enough for you'all to help me get this thing back on track. My inexperience is a large handicap when dealing with these types of problems. Thanks for any help you are able to offer. 

One other note that may help. Using chrome to access the unraid dashboard it shows as "Not secure" which may be causing some issues.

Edited by bigbuffs
Solved

There may be some things here you needed to deal with before upgrading:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/66327-unraid-os-version-650-stable-release-update-notes/

SMART for that 2TB cache disk is abysmal. Don't attempt to use it at all as cache or in the array. Maybe as an Unassigned Device you can try to read something from it.

Reboot and unassign that disk from cache then maybe go from there and post new diagnostics.

The 60GB you are thinking of using as cache might be adequate for some dockers but not enough capacity for much else, especially for caching user share writes.

So I have gotten mover stopped but I still cannot get the system to reboot or shutdown. I have tried both on the MAIN menu through the web gui and also tried using the powerdown -r command through terminal but it does nothing to the system. It is being very defiant.

Go to Settings - Disk Settings and disable autostart. Then just use the power button to kill it.

Remove that bad disk you have assigned as cache for now.

Reboot, and if that seems OK, start the array and post new diagnostics. Probably you will get a parity check for unclean shutdown.

Nothing obviously wrong there. So do you still want to put that 60GB SSD as cache? Like I said it might be OK for some dockers but not enough capacity for much else. Which is fine.

Did you have any dockers before? Are you planning to have any VMs?

After you install cache you will want to get appdata, domains, and system shares off the array and onto cache.

Thanks for the help. No I don't do anything like Dockers or VM's. I really just use the server for 2 purposes. To backup data on my main computer and to store all of my movies. I stream those movies to a couple of TV's in the house using Kodi. I honestly don't think I need a cache drive and I'm not sure that I would benefit at all from having one. 

10 hours ago, bigbuffs said:

I honestly don't think I need a cache drive and I'm not sure that I would benefit at all from having one. 

That seems reasonable.

10 hours ago, bigbuffs said:

I don't do anything like Dockers or VM's

You should disable and delete docker image and libvirt image, then this

12 hours ago, trurl said:

After you install cache you will want to get appdata, domains, and system shares off the array and onto cache.

becomes completely moot.