Difference in write speeds

I don't know what has happened but the windows Discovery is almost instantaneous now! and also the write speed has increased slightly. I haven't done the auto neg off yet.

I think that the popcorn hour a200 is causing major conflicts with the belkin n1 modem router. I am always having problems with both though. The popcorn can't see the servers and the belkin stops the internet working after a while. When they both don't work I can see still the unraid and the thecus via my laptop. I think I need a new modem router and a alternative to the popcorn.

All of a sudden its starting to lose the shares again!

I got this:

Dec 27 13:23:12 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

Dec 27 13:25:32 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

Dec 27 13:27:04 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

Dec 27 13:28:46 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

Dec 27 13:55:44 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

Dec 27 14:10:57 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

Dec 27 14:12:19 Unraid kernel: r8169: eth0: link up

I tried this:

root@Unraid:~# ethtool -A eth0 autoneg off

Cannot get device pause settings: Operation not supported

This is what I get.

I think I have figured out the problem with the discovery of files. The shares aren't going missing.

When I try to transfer a 30gb blu ray iso, one of the hdd activity lights comes on, on the unraid server and then stays on for a long while. Whilst this is going on Windows 7 is still saying its trying to discover this one file. When I check the main hdd page the read numbers on that one hdd just keeps going up but no increase in the write numbers. It reads for ages and I think that this is why the transfer fails because windows gets bored of waiting. When the server has less data on it this is not a problem. But as the server fills up then this is a big problem.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

I think I have figured out the problem with the discovery of files. The shares aren't going missing.

When I try to transfer a 30gb blu ray iso, one of the hdd activity lights comes on, on the unraid server and then stays on for a long while. Whilst this is going on Windows 7 is still saying its trying to discover this one file. When I check the main hdd page the read numbers on that one hdd just keeps going up but no increase in the write numbers. It reads for ages and I think that this is why the transfer fails because windows gets bored of waiting. When the server has less data on it this is not a problem. But as the server fills up then this is a big problem.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

no, other than it sounds unusual.  The only way to analyze more is if you were to attach a syslog to your next post.

From the messages you were posting though, there is an issue with your network. (either a bad/intermittent cable, or router)  There is absolutely no reason for the "link up" messages unless connectivity is marginal.  A link that is marginal could easily explain the problems you are having transferring files.

Joe L.

Every time I do a transfer to the server one of the hdd does a massive read session and then the transfer fails. Can't do anything now now.

Have you analyzed the system log for clues as to what might be happening?

Have you checked the file-system on that disk to see if it has any corruption? 

Are you transferring file to the top level directory of the disk? or a sub-folder?

Joe L.

I deleted a few files so there is now 3.08TB (up from 1.96TB) space free from 12.7TB. I did a transfer of 10 iso files approx 249gb and the server did not do the long read thing. In fact the transfer started straight away with no Discovery! This leads me to believe that there is a free space issue.

Worked for a little while but then when hdd 1 ran out of space it just kept trying to write to hdd 1 and it didn't go to hdd 2!

OK, now that is VERY different.

That is an entirely expected behavior based on the configuration settings you have set for that share.

In order for the user-shares to work properly you MUST set the min-free space parameter.  You probably have it set too low, or not set at all.

Any single file MUST fit on a single physical disk.  Most copy/transfer programs start by creating an initial small file and

appending to it.  The initial small file fits.  The entire file does not, so the transfer fails part way through.  Additionally, even though you might have 2TB space left in a 12.7TB array does not mean you have anywhere near that on a single drive.  You might have only 300Gig on any given drive and in combination have 2TB.  The biggest single file would then be 300Gig.  When you get to that point you need to be much more involved in where the media is being stored.

The min-free space should be set larger than the largest single file you will copy to a drive.  It is 1k blocks, so set it accordingly.  You should probably not fill your disks to capacity as they also need space for the file-system-journal entries created so it can recover from abrupt system shutdowns.  Always leave at least the size of your largest file being transferred free and you'll be fine.  Since you are working with 30GB files I'd suggest a min-free setting of

for each of your user-shares.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe.

I have set the min free space of the HD movie share at 60000000. I left it in most free until it started messing about, which it did at 2.54TB. Its such a waste of space not being able to write to it in the normal way. So therefore I will switch to fill up and hopefully it will work this time.