PSU Question

cherritaker

I'm planning on building a new server for the first time i want to use a couple of spare parts i have laying around for starters i would like some input on this PSU i have in my current case its a Raidmax 630Z with these specs. This is a direct link to it http://www.frys.com/product/6030458?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

* 630 watts total input

* A huge 135mm blue LED fan

* durable black satin finish

* 20/24 ATX Main power connector

* Smart Modular Cooling system

* 6 x ATX 4-pin Molex connectors

* 4 x SATA connectors

* 2 x 4-pin floppy connectors

* 2 x PCI-Express connectors

* Hexflo honey comb cutouts for maximum airflow

* High grade black mesh wrapped cabling

psu.jpg.2964248c7290b2eca763e5edc8ece672.jpg

It's a bit of a mixed-bag because it has Split 12Volt rails.

Typically one rail is dedicated to connections which are unused in an unRAID server such as the PCI-Express Graphics connectors. You only have 22 Amps on the 12 Volt rail to supply all that's needed for the motherboard, cpu, memory, fans, and hard-drives. In essence this PSU provides less power than some quality single-rail 330 Watt PSUs.

To give you an idea of power usage, some green HDDs like the Seagate 2TB 5900RPM uses 2 Amps on spin-up while the 7200RPM drive uses 2.8 Amps. The Hitachi 7200 RPM drive uses 2 Amps on spin-up as well. This means even without needing to run the motherboard/cpu/memory/fans, you can barely power 10 hard drives even if you use lower power requirement models.

Will this work for the meantime since i am on a budget currently using the dns321 too. Just need it to work with the free unraid until i can buy the license for the pro version and more HDD's. Also how would this psu from newegg do? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139018

Yes, you can use the psu with the free version of unRAID.  As mentioned do not go over 10 drives on that supply though, and preferably not over 8-9.

The PSU you linked to on newegg is a very good choice, and you should be able to run 15ish green drives off of it.