5 Disks Went Into Disk Read Error State At The Same TIme

Hi All,

I have a Dual Xeon SuperMicro X8DTH-iF with 96GB RAM and 2 LSI SAS 9207-8I 6GB/S (8 Sata connections each) controllers running 2 4tb Red parity drives, 8 4 tb Red data drives, 2 250GB ssd drives in a cache pool, 2 180GB SSDs unassigned, and 1 4tb purple unassigned.

Long story as short as possible, I had my unraid server apart last Wednesday with 2 new drives added, a 4TB red and a 4 TB purple (included in description above).  I precleared them and when they cleared I shut down the server and installed all them properly (so I thought).  When I turned it back on, I had missed plugging in a power splitter which fed 5 of the drives (Parity disk 2, disks 2,4,6, and 8).  Unraid was mad, I freaked out, figured it out and all seemed to be running fine after I plugged it back in.  Fast forward to this morning and about half way through parity check at roughly 5:43 AM those same 5 drives started having read errors in the logs, all starting at that time and parity disk 2 and disk 6 showed disabled.

I figured maybe it was a power issue because I was running 5 drives off of one splitter (1 drive off of one side, 4 drives off of the other).  I spread the power around more evenly and then turned it back on.  3 of the disks are back online and I can read my data from the array but parity disk 2 and disk 6 still show disabled.  Could anybody please advise me as to what I should do next?  I know the disks aren't bad but think I may have to rebuild them both (which means buying another drive to rebuild disk 6).  I've attached the anonymous logs.  Thanks in advance.  Have a great one.

urfs-diagnostics-20200503-0853.zip

Edited by Inshakoor

Since there were errors on disks connected to both controllers it suggests more a power problem, though LSIs should still be upgraded to latest firmware.

15 hours ago, Inshakoor said:

but parity disk 2 and disk 6 still show disabled.

This is expected, once a disk gets disabled it needs to be rebuilt:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Troubleshooting#Re-enable_the_drive

P.S. the CPU is overheating and throttling down, check cooling.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:01 AM, johnnie.black said:

Since there were errors on disks connected to both controllers it suggests more a power problem, though LSIs should still be upgraded to latest firmware.

This is expected, once a disk gets disabled it needs to be rebuilt:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Troubleshooting#Re-enable_the_drive

P.S. the CPU is overheating and throttling down, check cooling.

Thank you very much for your comments.  I'm rebuilding the disks now and once I've confirmed that both drives are back in tip-top, I'll upgrade the firmware on the LSI's and look into my CPU cooling.  Thanks again and have a great week!