[SOLVED] Unraid 6.7.2 - My first Disk x in error state (disk dsbl)

Hi,

Ive just experienced my first bigger issue with my Unraid server and I was wondering if anyone could help me since im pretty new to unraid(~6 months).

1. So to cut to the chase, I had woke up today to an error one of the drives that the disk has been disabled. (Important here is that this disk has had an issue around a month or two ago with showing me an error 197/198 current pending sector/offline uncorrectable which meant I did an extended self-test and the errors went away, I only got a few day later a reported uncorrect error(only 5 errors) on the disk 4. Which i decided to keep an eye on it, if it would start growing I would replace the drive). Had a similar issue with disk 2 but that went away and report no errors anymore(not even the ones that it did report false positive?). I assumed it might be cables giving me problems, so I reattached them and all was fine. Until this morning.

2. Here is where I made a rookie mistake and turned off my unraid!! Being dumb I wanted to check the cables and see what was happening, I noticed my GPU moved (im using pci extender) and was pressing on one of the sata cables so i fixed that and had rebooted the server to see if it will detect the drive. It did not. Drive went fully offline and wasnt detectable. 

3. Next solution was trying to detect the drive, since I assumed it is either the cable, or the sata port on MB. I changed the cable, and it still did not detect the drive. Then I switched the drive to a pcie sata card port, and voila it worked. The drive detected and can be added to the array. (I also noticed the power cable was a bit off, so I fixed it but I am not sure I did that while searching for the right drive).

From here on I didnt do anything else. I did not rebuild the array, except put it in maintenance mode to check the smart report and probably to run a xfs repair. No new errors are shown, except the same reported uncorrect  - 5 from 1-2 months ago.

My question is how can I check the drive for errors and bad sectors or perhaps for faulty sata port that has caused. Can I do a xfs repair, and then another extended smart check? 

My thinking:

1. Buy new drive (this one is still under warranty, but it can take up to 45 days to get a new one?)
2. Run extended smart-test (in maintenance) - currently running
3. Run xfs repair command? (but I am not sure how safe it is to run it)

4. If no errors, add the drive to the array and rebuild.

Any help would be appreciated, as I said Im pretty new to Unraid and all I could find was that I can run xfs repair command for errors, and I am trying to not **** up again.

P.s. I know I ****** up when I rebooted the server :/ 

unraidserver-diagnostics-20200504-1021.zip

Did exactly that and it finished okay this morning. Switched the cable last yesterday and gonna check the power cables as well before locking it up. Will keep an eye on it, if errors appear im ordering a new one and rma-ing this one.

Disk 4 returned to normal operation.

Unraid Parity sync / Data rebuild: 05-05-2020 08:44

Notice [unraidserver] - Parity sync / Data rebuild finished (0 errors)
Duration: 8 hours, 33 minutes, 17 seconds

Thank you johnnie for your help!

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Unraid 6.7.2 - My first Disk x in error state (disk dsbl)