how do I backup the shares to an external USB drive

Hi all, 

I have been looking through the forums trying to find a way of backing up my shares to two external USB hard drives. I plan on setting up the backup to one drive then adding an extra drive for backup at a later date. 

What are the latest options for carrying out the backup and what do you recommend? 

I have seen a bit about using unassigned devices but I am not sure about what I need to do wit the scripts. 

Thanks 

Matt

• 1 month later...

If it's just a one time backup use the Unassigned Devices plugin.   It will mount your USB drive.  From there you can use Midnight Commander (mc) from SSH/CLI or you can use something like Krusader or Cloud Commander dockers.   These options lets you move the files back and fourth similar to explorer.

If you are wanting to backup to external on a schedule you can use rsync plugin with User Scripts plugin.  Search the forums for external backup scripts and you will find plenty of examples.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dtctechs said:

rsync plugin

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a guide to getting the backups setup?

I have got unassigned devices running and an external usb hard drive with a disk share inside it called backup. 

I want to backup the array to this share.

Edited by MattC69

Reddit: how do I backup using rsync?

spaceinvader1 guide to moving files

Both of these helped me.  You can use rsync from the command line once you have installed the plugin.  It's as simple as

rclone copy /mnt/user/share-to-backup /mnt/disks/unassigned-device-path

Here is a list of flags you can use

https://rclone.org/flags/

Speed-wise I have had better luck using midnight commander from ssh terminal to copy from/to USB 3.0 drives.

Edited by dtctechs