new WD Red disk sector noises during preclear, Normal?

I bought a new WD Red Drive and started my preclear, the Smart Info has it new with no errors.

But starting off the preclear the speed is holding 164MB/sec but every 2 seconds it makes this sectoring noise for 1 second its about 5-6 clicks its the same pattern over and over.

I can't remember any of my other precleared drives making noise while preclearing.

Anyone know if this is a bad sign, i don't see any errors as of yet im only at stage 1 of preclearing.

Modern consumer drives are typically very quiet, pronounced ticking is not normal. Perhaps google your specific model and see if people in general are complaining about noise, if so, it's probably normal for that model.

Some drives have a specific SMART test for shipping and handling damage, maybe see if yours does?

Bottom line, if it makes you uncomfortable, you will never fully trust the drive, so do what it takes to come to terms with it, either by getting examples of similar behaviour in long term perfectly functioning drives, or returning it and replacing with a new one.

Don't RMA it, you are pretty much guaranteed to get somebody else's problem.

2 minutes ago, Maticks said:

guys gone out of business so i can't even take it back

Ouch.

If I were in your shoes, I'd run it through a couple preclear cycles and see how it acts. Hopefully if it's going to fail early, you can induce the failure before your data is at risk. If it survives, hopefully it will stay OK for a good long while.

Maybe it is just a controller difference, not sure all my other 9 drives have WD-WCXXXXXXXX for their serial number.

It seem to have passed though  woth two Uncorrect Errors.

Kicked off an Extended Smart as well.

Event: Preclear on 3704212 
Subject: Preclear: PASS! Preclearing Disk 3704212 (/dev/sdv) Finished!!! 
Description: Preclear: PASS! Preclearing Disk 3704212 (/dev/sdv) Finished!!! Cycle 1 of 1 
Importance: normal 

Disk sdv has successfully finished a preclear cycle! 

Ran 1 cycles. 
Last Cycle\`s Pre-Read Time: 8:38:14 @ 128 MB/s. 
Last Cycle\`s Zeroing Time: 7:51:33 @ 141 MB/s. 
Last Cycle\`s Post-Read Time: 8:39:03 @ 128 MB/s. 
Last Cycle\`s Elapsed TIme: 25:07:36 
Disk Start Temperature: 31 C 
Disk Current Temperature: 33 C 

S.M.A.R.T. Report 
ATTRIBUTE INITIAL CYCLE 1 STATUS 
5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0 0 - 
9-Power_On_Hours 1 27 Up 26 
183-Runtime_Bad_Block 0 0 - 
187-Reported_Uncorrect 0 2 Up 2 
190-Airflow_Temperature_Cel 30 33 Up 3 
196-Reallocated_Event_Count 0 0 - 
197-Current_Pending_Sector 0 0 - 
198-Offline_Uncorrectable 0 0 - 
199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0 0 - 
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED 

I bought a new WD Red Drive and started my preclear, the Smart Info has it new with no errors.
But starting off the preclear the speed is holding 164MB/sec but every 2 seconds it makes this sectoring noise for 1 second its about 5-6 clicks its the same pattern over and over.
I can't remember any of my other precleared drives making noise while preclearing.
Anyone know if this is a bad sign, i don't see any errors as of yet im only at stage 1 of preclearing.
The script will read the first and the last sectors interspersed with 3 random blocks, so 5-6 head movements are about right, but head noise is not. If it's covered with factory warranty, in your place I would RMA it.

Enviado de meu SM-N970F usando o Tapatalk