Changed server IP. Cant ping og access web GUI.

Hi,

Im new to Unraid and have been experimenting with shares, dockers etc for a few days.
Successfully setup mariadb, nextcloud etc.
I looked around for a while without finding any solution to the problem.

I tried to change the IP address to 155.175.0.0 from settings > Network.
After a few hours the loading screen for the changes hadnt changed so I restarted the server,

and havent been able to get back in.

I have tried to ping the server from comanad prompt on my computer and get this message:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I have tried to access the server from the browser in several ways:
- Old ip
- New ip
- tower.local
- etc

When I connect a monitor to the server I can see the new IP under IPv4 address, but IPv6 address say: not set.

What should I do? And should I change the IP of the server first or chacnge some settings in my Asus router?

Thanks for any help.

I though that was the problem, the IP... so I turned off the server earlier. I hear that you could choose what ever you want, but he should have pointed out that the IP needs to start with 192. or 192.168. ?

Could I also change all the IPs for the server, pc etc to start with 10.x.x.x. I’ve never seen IPs in that serie on local networks before (just only in tutorials/YouTube.

Is there a way I can only reset / change it back to the previous IP? Or is there any security concerns after my IP change, and therefor should delete everything and set it up again from scratch?

Reading up on local IPs:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

Edited by UnraidServer2020

I always let my router handle IP assignment and let all my computers and devices use DHCP. That way everything can be managed in one place. For my wired devices, I reserve IP by MAC address.

If you want to move everything to a different subnet than the router is already configured for you will have to reconfigure your router.

I would suggest not doing anything until you have a better idea of what to do. Random experiments will make things inaccessible, and possibly open them up to hacking.

Me too. I let the router hand our IPs for most of my home network, but I need static IP for letsencrypt, PiHole and/or DNS?

Those Dockers are the next once I will setup (for the first time). Im new to Unraid but like it alot so far! 

I would like to test out a different subnet - just to learn. Why would someone have two networks at home (other then geust connection) ?

7 minutes ago, UnraidServer2020 said:

need static IP for letsencrypt, PiHole and/or DNS?

You need an external (your router address on the internet) static IP or else dynamic DNS, duckdns is often used for that. Getting the external IP forwarded to ports of the internal IP of your server is what port forwarding is all about.

Have a look at SpaceInvader One youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/spaceinvaderone

• 3 weeks later...