Cache Utilization 99% [SOLVED]

Hi everyone im new to the unraid / Linux world and ive been trying for hours / days to get my cache under control and im not sure where i went wrong.

Overnight my cache seems to hit 99% utlization. the mover doesn't seem to do anything. Can you take a look at my log and point me in the right direction? Im not sure what else can be done.

Thanks for the support !

EDIT: SOLVED by Setting appdata, domains, and system share to cache-prefer.

Thank you trurl!!!

familyplexsrv-syslog-20200526-2220.zip

Edited by Za1no

You have a share anonymized as P-------a which is cache-prefer. The cache-prefer setting means try to keep the share on cache, and if any of it winds up on the array, try to move it to cache. Most likely this is what is filling your cache.

What is the purpose of share P-------a?

On the other hand you have some shares that should be all on cache but aren't, some because of the setting you have made for the share and some because there isn't space. These are going to affect docker/VM performance and keep array disks spinning.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

What is the purpose of share P-------a?

This is where i have all my dockers set to download along with media for PLEX. I presume you're correct now that i say it out loud... Im running Normal usenet dockers. Sonarr, Radarr, Sabnzb, PLEX. any reccomendations to increase docker performance? Thanks 

Edited by Za1no

Do you have any VMs?

For now we will concentrate on getting space on cache, so that later we can move those things to cache that should be there.

Go to Settings - Docker and disable dockers. Do the same for Settings - VM Manager. Leave them disabled until we have finished moving things.

Set appdata, domains, and system share to cache-only. This will make mover ignore them for now. Later we will set them to prefer so they will be moved to cache.

Set that P-------a share to cache-yes

Go to Main - Array Operation and Move Now. Wait for it to complete.

Then post new diagnostics,

That's OK. I know it was a lot of time between posts and I didn't really explain why we were doing some things. And you ran mover again so system is all on cache now.

Looks good! Go ahead and start dockers again.

Cache has plenty of capacity as long as you don't tell it to keep certain shares there forever. appdata,domains,system are the shares you want to stay on cache (cache-prefer or cache-only). Other shares should be written to the array (cache-no) or written to cache and moved to the array (cache-yes). After you get more experience you can decide if it makes sense to keep other shares on cache. I personally put DVR there for performance, and any recording I want to keep I move to another share on the array.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

I personally put DVR there for performance, and any recording I want to keep I move to another share on the array.

So to clarify this - if i were to say put my P_____A share on cache yes. It would perform better overall right? And everything would be on cache until the mover moves the files off? Or would Sonarr / Radarr handle the files moving off cache automatically without the mover? 

Thanks for all the help and getting me back on track. been a life safer  !

Typically sonarr/radarr will move files depending on how you have them setup, but if for some reason they don't it is good to fall back to mover moving them. So if the downloads are going to a cache-yes share and sonarr/radarr doesn't move them, then mover will eventually.

• Thanks 1