unRAID replacement and non-traditional transfer

Hello,

I built an unRAID system with 16 drives, the power supply failed and I have been unable to obtain an identical motherboard.

I purchased a PowerEdge R510 and tried to configure all of the drives (14 total) as RAID 0 (I did not initialize the disks) and restore the system. Only the cache disk took. When I assigned the drives, they say wrong instead of missing.

I am looking at three options;

1. Is there a way I can configure the H700 RAID controller so that unRAID recognizes the disks? In the RAID controller settings I built RAID 0 drives for each and named them (limited character input) how they were labeled in unRAID.

2. Can I save my current configuration, start new unRAID build on the PE R510 with the possibility of restoring my previous unRAID build if I can get another computer built?

3. Can I extract any of the data from the current unRAID build drives outside of a working unRAID array. There are photos and videos, the photos are either in apple photos database or Lightroom database.

Thank you.

Not recommended at all to use RAID controllers with Unraid, you should use a standard HBA instead, still might have issues now if the RIAD controller wrote anything to the MBR of the disks, and it likely did, it could work if you rebuild all the disks one by one, like users need to do when going from RAID to HBA, but like mentioned it's not recommended.

5 minutes ago, zekemdm said:

Can I extract any of the data from the current unRAID build drives outside of a working unRAID array.

There should be no issues outside or inside an array as long as you don't use a RAID controller, with one it might work, it might not.