Getting constant activity on all harddrives

For the last couple of days all my harddrives have been getting hit with reads on the data drives and writes on the drives. I have tried shutting down all dockers and VMs, and turning off all NFS shares and nothing changes.

image.thumb.png.a65273dcce5ca71f0648678c54fb52bd.png

image.png.39b2c56fba2f1163cd51d8271e1be214.png

image.png.e4a56a528b55a1f853f20ef095ddfe23.png

I checked htop, but nothing looks strange there.

Any tips on what I can look at next?

image.png

EDIT:

Some more troubleshooting has found that after updating all the dockers again, and shutting them all down the constant activity stops. Then I restarted Plex, its the only docker that is "critical" and the reads started.

The confusion now is that it is "reading" from an empty disk -

image.png.b49dd0f1dc3a72d81cf1ac3fa31a1850.png

Disk 9 was just added to the system and doesn't have anything written to it.

Edited by jeffmackinnon
Some new information discovered.

It appears that you have dual parity, and have turbo mode (reconstruct write) enabled in disk settings, and some process is currently writing to disk 2 @ 54.6 KB/s.

Since you have zero cache-only shares, I'd surmise that you don't have a cache drive and the docker image is stored on disk 2 which is what would be resulting in the minimal write happening.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

It appears that you have dual parity, and have turbo mode (reconstruct write) enabled in disk settings, and some process is currently writing to disk 2 @ 54.6 KB/s.

Since you have zero cache-only shares, I'd surmise that you don't have a cache drive and the docker image is stored on disk 2 which is what would be resulting in the minimal write happening.

I have system, appdata and domains set for my cache. Those are the only shares that use the cache.

image.png.eeb5d3ad0f1382aa3338979b25a46c47.png

A user on reddit suggested that docker.img was likely a culprit, and they weren't wrong. But when I moved it from disk2 to cache using mc and re-started the plex docker the same thing happened again.

There is a possibility that FileHistory is causing the activity, but I would expect to see a SMB stream active if that was the case.

I've changed the "prefer" shares to cache only, ran the mover, and verified that the system, appdata and domains are 100% on the cache

image.png.4e8a686d2ccc637b524e856f367992d0.png