A new curious member

Hello everyone!

I'm very interested to see if unraid fit my use-case, if not it might be for a future project.

So currently I use a Windows 10 machine with hyper-v, on there I run a Window server and a Linux server.

The reason why I use hyper-v on a Windows 10 machine is because I run steam games and emulators, the PC is connected to my TV, and then I run various server softwares and services ( I know those works on unraid, so that is not a part of the question) but I am curious if I can use unraid and have a Windows VM that can access my graphics card so I can play games on my TV.

I also have a second question, is the license a life time license? or is it a subscription? when they say storage devices (thinking about the limitation per license) I assume they mean anything that can store data long term?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Pyrre said:

but I am curious if I can use unraid and have a Windows VM that can access my graphics card so I can play games on my TV.

If your motherboard AND processor support IOMMU so that you can do hardware pass-through of the graphics card to the VM then this is possible.

28 minutes ago, Pyrre said:

I also have a second question, is the license a life time license? or is it a subscription? when they say storage devices (thinking about the limitation per license) I assume they mean anything that can store data long term?

It is a lifetime licence and is good for all future Unraid releases.   Storage devices are any disk drive or USB device that is attached at the point the array is started.  Removable devices can be plugged in once the array is started without counting towards this limit, but many people like the licence level they use to be one that allows such devices to be left plugged in all the time.

Thank you so much for the answer, exactly what I was looking for :)

Okey so I found this Wikipedia list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware

And this is my current hardware

CPU: i7 3770

Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V LE

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970

I paste the two screenshots below, can you help me translate the tables? does it support IOMMU?
It looks like it, I guess?

Motherboard

image.thumb.png.078dc72439d2cb33c3576f7c7a57de69.png

CPU

image.thumb.png.f72c2d0d869c0ee71604e0adbd346ec6.png

20 hours ago, Pyrre said:

Thank you so much for the answer, exactly what I was looking for :)

Okey so I found this Wikipedia list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware

And this is my current hardware

CPU: i7 3770

Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V LE

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970

I paste the two screenshots below, can you help me translate the tables? does it support IOMMU?
It looks like it, I guess?

Motherboard

image.thumb.png.078dc72439d2cb33c3576f7c7a57de69.png

CPU

image.thumb.png.f72c2d0d869c0ee71604e0adbd346ec6.png

Unraid uses KVM QEMU so you're good to go.

On the Intel side IOMMU is found in BIOS as VT-d. So you need to have this enabled. 

Also you need enabled Virtualization Technology probably found as VT-x in BIOS.