how to make the most of your cache drive

I have recently replaced my 120GB SSD drive with a 240G one, as my VMs and Docker containers were reaching the 120GB limit

To my dismay, when I replaced the drive, my new drive was using "only" 80Gb, so why the hell was it using 40GB more on the same configuration on the old disk ? It seems I didn't even need to buy a bigger disk, just reconfigure how Unraid was allocating space to the cache drive.

Anyway, I have deleted a couple of VMs I didn't needed anymore and the situation worsened: now I have only about 11GB ( out of 240GB)  used. It doesn't make sense: I have changed the appdata and domains shares from "prefer" to "Yes" on the "Use cache for new files/directories), but is still practically not using the cache drive (around 5% of space used)

I also deleted an old VM image, and now there is a hidden .fusexxx file with 50GB size, that I have not been able to delete. Obviously the OS is using somehow that file ( and probably will be deleted when I reboot Unraid), but maybe is wasting disk space

I have 3 VMS , using 40GB, 53GB and 53GB, so in total it should be using around 150GB, but why it reports is using only 11GB?

My question is: how can I make sure the SSD ( cache) drive is used as much as possible - instead of using low speed drives?

Thanks

4 hours ago, javiermi said:

It doesn't make sense: I have changed the appdata and domains shares from "prefer" to "Yes" on the "Use cache for new files/directories), but is still practically not using the cache drive (around 5% of space used)

"prefer" moves share files TO the cache from the array, "yes" moves them to the array FROM the cache.

So your results make perfect sense. Also, mover won't move open files, so to get all the files moved you will have to disable the docker and VM services, not just the individual containers and VM's. There should be no Docker or VMS tab on the GUI when the services are disabled, then you can manually trigger the mover.