6.8.3 - 10G Lan Crashing/Locking Up

Been using unraid for quite a long time with no issues, decided to upgrade to a 10G network card and have been having some strange behavior. The card I added is the ASUS XG-C100C.

Basically when I push a lot of traffic to the server (500mb-800mb/s) the network will drop and not come back. At first I thought this was the card or drivers crashing as pulling the network cable out and waiting a couple of seconds and plugging it back in would fix it. Website would also be unresponsive. Usually happens within 30min of high traffic to the box.

I happened to log in via ssh to monitor cpu/ram usage and to my surprise I was still able to log in via ssh after it had failed so it seems to be something relating to the storage locking up. Once in via ssh, if i try to change dir to my storage and run "ls" it just hangs.

Currently I have just added a script via cron to restart the network every 5min while I'm pushing a load of data to the server but this is not exactly an ideal solution.

Any suggestions or help would be welcome :)

ok, I have tried increasing the RX buffer to 4096 and so far its pushed 3.8TB without failing. I will update it later with either the diagnostics or to say that solved it. below is settings before I changed anything.

Ring parameters for eth0:
Pre-set maximums:
RX:             8184
RX Mini:        0
RX Jumbo:       0
TX:             8184
Current hardware settings:
RX:             1024
RX Mini:        0
RX Jumbo:       0
TX:             4096

EDIT: Yes this has fixed the problem. If anyone finds this with a similar issue you can check the buffers using the command "sudo ethtool -g eth0" and change them using "sudo ethtool -G eth0 rx 4096". Replacing eth0 with your network interface and 4096 with the desired buffer.

I would suggest making sure you have physical access as setting this to a value not supported will break your network connection until reboot. The settings will reset after a reboot. To make them permanent either download the "tips and tweaks" plugin or add your version of "sudo ethtool -G eth0 rx 4096" to /boot/config/go.

Edited by GhostFox