Planning a new upgrade build, any thoughts on this?

My current system consists of a Supermicro X11SSM-F, Pentium G4560 3.5ghz dual core, and 4x8gb of memory.

I've planned out an upgrade based on price and performance considerations. Here's what I've come up with..

Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard

Xeon E5-2690 v3 2.6ghz 12 core

And an additional 4x16gb RAM to add in.

CPU comparison

The Xeon is an older processor than the Pentium, and has a lower clock speed, and a lower single thread benchmark score, but think it will still be an improvement.

What do you guys think of this Xeon? Is it worth the change? 

The usual.  Nothing fancy.  Dockers, some VMs as needed/playing around.  Occasional Handbrake conversions.

I'm pretty basic, but concerned about the clock speed and single thread performance, how much it would actually affect things.

Or should I bite the bullet and just spend the extra on a better cpu.  Do it right the first time... something like your E-2278G looks good.  Just didn't want to pay that much.

Edited by Energen
  • 2 months later...

A E-2278G seems to be a "monster" as long you do not plan to use many VMs.

Why not buying a faster CPU for your board? There are three options with 4 cores, iGPU and ECC support:

On eBay Germany a dealer is selling used HP Workstations with the E3-1225 v5:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Workstation-Z240-Desktop-Xeon-E3-1225v5-3-30GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-Win10/264868860082

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Workstation-Z240-Desktop-Xeon-E3-1225v5-3-3GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-Win10/264868859229

The auctions for this model usually end at 120-200 €. For ~150 € it would be a good deal for testing the CPU and if it does not fit your needs, you could re-sell the unit with a little loss ;) 

Edited by mgutt