Playback issues vith Kodi

Hi everybody,

(I hope i'm not double-posting, my searches weren't successful)

I've used my unRaid server mainly for media streaming since 2013, but these last few months i've been experiencing issues while streaming videos.

At some point, the video starts to stutter, freezes to a halt, and sometimes crashes. Since then i already spent several hours trying to troubleshoot Kodi (and recently created this post on the official Kodi forum).

At the moment, i am still trying to find where the problem lies, exactly, but it would seems the issues are caused by transfer rate drops.

As i am stating on the Kodi forum - even though i have been an unRaid/Kodi user for years, it has always been a matter of setting it all up then forgetting it because it all worked smoothly almost "straight out of the box", i am no expert at troubleshooting issues so your help is highly appreciated.

My question is: how can i test my server to see if there's a problem and fix it? i'm not sure if there is a test procedure i can follow, or maybe a report/log i can post to provide more info?

Thanks for your support!

On 7/7/2020 at 12:45 PM, itimpi said:

The first step will be to post your system's diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) taken shortly after you have experienced the problem to see if we can spot something.  

Allright, i was watching something then got the issue of the video playback freezing at once (no stuttering), then stopping and going straight back to Kodi's dashboard.

I've uploaded the whole zip, i hope that's allright! Thanks for your help.

deimos-diagnostics-20200709-1300.zip

The diagnostics show that you are getting lots of resets/retries on device ata8 (which I believe is your cache disk) and this could explain your symptoms.   The SMART information on the drive looks OK at first glance but one this is not a definitive proof that the drive is OK.

i would suggest that the following is a good cause of action in the short term.

• Carefully check the power and SATA cabling to the drive as a bad connection can cause this type of symptom
  • run an extended SMART test on the drive to check its health (this can be done from the dialog that results from clicking on the drive on the Main tab).

if after doing that you still get the same symptoms then I would suggest taking new diagnostics at that point to see if anything else is showing up.