[SOLVED] USB drive is not read-write

Hello,

today I noticed that my USB stick seams to be failing.

I have read some other threads regarding this error. I have already ordered some new USB sticks because the stick I am using rigth now (it is an Sandisk Ultra Fit, one of these tiny ones) is not recommended for unraid according to some entries here.

Should I even try repairing (I would follow these instructions 

) the stick or should I directly migrate to a new USB stick? I do not want to waste my "one new usb stick every 12 month" but the current stick just lasted 8 month. Is there a way to check if the stick is realy broken or if just something went wrong?

Thanks for your help

Anmerkung 2020-07-11 222015.png

You can always put the USB stick into a PC/Max and see if it can read it OK.   If you do not have a backup you can try taking one at that time and re-writing the USB stick.   

i use Sandisk Cruzer fit without problems, but the problem with them can be that because of their small size they are not very good with heat disposal.   Something like Kingston Data Traveler (ones with metal case) are a good choice.    Note that USB2 versions are recommended as being more reliable (as well as cheaper) than USB3 variants.

I have a backup through the web frontend of unraid. What else should I backup to be on the safe side?

27 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Something like Kingston Data Traveler (ones with metal case) are a good choice.    Note that USB2 versions are recommended as being more reliable (as well as cheaper) than USB3 variants.

That is the one I have ordered.

To give an update (I hate to find a topic describing a problem but there is no final post):

The old USB stick is unsavable. No matter what I have tried, it remaind "write protected".

I prepared a knew USB stick with the Unraid USB creator and after that was finished I copied my backup over the files. That was not working, my PC did not want to boot from that stick.

So I cleaned everything from the stick and just copied my backup onto it and used the make-boot.bat.

That did work, my tower is ruing again. I had to got a new key for the stick.

• Like 3
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] USB drive is not read-write