[SOLVED] HELP - USB Drive failure - no retrievable backups

I restarted Unraid today to find that it could no longer boot from my USB.  I don't have a copy of my drive configuration.  I'm at the part of this guide that says to make a post.

I'm fairly certain I had CA Apps taking a back-up of my flash drive, but it saved them to the raid which is no longer accessible (...hindsight...).  I've been trying to find a way to access my unraid disks from my Windows PC to see if I can find my CA Backup (praying it actually exists), no luck so far though.  Anyone know of any programs to view XFS or BTRFS file systems in Windows?  I think my back-ups are on my cache drive, so btrfs.

Can anyone help me in either finding out what my old drive mappings were or with retrieving my Flash back-up from one of the disks?  I have over 40TBs of data I'm really hoping I can restore.

Thanks in advance

How confident are you in the health of your data drives? Easiest way forward would be to set up a new Unraid USB stick, and assign all the data drives and cache drive. Leave both parity slots empty for the moment, and you should be able to access all your data. If you don't write anything to the drives, and you can find a current backup, you should be able to get everything back the way it was.

As long as you don't assign anything to the parity slots, nothing should get overwritten. If at any point it asks you to format anything, DON'T. Post back with diagnostics and a screenshot of the Main GUI page.

If you at all suspect you may have a failing data drive, we need to approach things a little differently.

I just found a program called UFS Explorer Raid Recovery.  It allowed me to take an unraid drive, plug it into windows and view the contents.  After parsing through 8 drives, I finally found DISK_ASSIGNMENTS.txt.  So I now have a 100% accurate listing of my drive mappings.

Should I still use your method and mount everything except the parity drives?  Or should I include them now that I know what they are?  What's the best way to take the back-up in the USB Backup folder and recreate my USB boot (do I just zip the folder and load it into the USB flash creator)?

Disk Assignments
Disk: parity  Device: HGST_HUH721010ALE600_7PGM8HBG  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk1  Device: WDC_WD80EMZZ-00TBGA0_VJGWS3AX  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk2  Device: WDC_WD80EMAZ-00WJTA0_7SGUH5UC  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk3  Device: WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VK0VA0KY  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk4  Device: WDC_WD80EFZX-68UW8N0_VK0VBXKY  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk5  Device: WDC_WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0_JEKYAD6Z  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk6  Device: WDC_WD60EFRX-68MYMN1_WD-WXA1D65E3S7T  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk7  Device: WDC_WD100EMAZ-00WJTA0_JEKZ9Y5Z  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk8  Device: WDC_WD60EFRX-68MYMN1_WD-WXA1D65E3PJY  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: disk9  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk10  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk11  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk12  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk13  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk14  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk15  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk16  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk17  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk18  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk19  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk20  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk21  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: disk22  Device:   Status: DISK_NP
Disk: parity2  Device: HGST_HUH721010ALE600_7PGR685C  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: cache  Device: WDC_WDS100T2B0A-00SM50_180715800164  Status: DISK_OK
Disk: flash  Device: Flash_Voyager  Status: DISK_OK

Edited by MrKevbo

I got impatient and grew my confidence by ready more articles.

I mapped all the drives according to the list above.  Then started the array with the "parity is valid box" checked.  My shares loaded right up.  I then navigated to my CA USB backup and created a zip of all the contents.  I then used the Unraid USB flash creator and reimaged my flash drive with the zip.  Booted with the newly flashed drive, then once again remapped all my drives according list above.

Now 100% back in business with all dockers and VMs loading straight up.  Thanks for your help!!

• Like 2
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] HELP - USB Drive failure - no retrievable backups