Few questions

Currently rocking a synology ds918+ with 30tb storage running plex portainer hydra sonarr radarr etc but need to also add cctv now so I i intend on getting the following hardware to replace the nas core i5 10400 a micro atx board 16/32gb ram, looking at truenas and freenas (dont mind paying for good software) I want web services to run faster, the ds918 only has a passmark of around 2k and the 10400 around 6 times that, i have multiple reverse proxy for subdomains for the various services and my questions are really as follows;

Is managing reverse proxy somewhat natively easy and reliable?

Can i simply add a new drive and extend a JBOD? WITHOUT data loss

Is the docker support full so I could install something like portainer?

Would the above cpu mark a worthy increase  in performance with unraid over the Intel Celeron J3455 in my ds918?

Can unraid be used on virtual box?

Also I intend on using a 1tb m2 nvme for the operating system or is it contained on USB? Wouldn't it affect performance?

Cheers

Edited by Locky

I'll do my best to answer your questions.. I'm not an expert at anything but have time on my hands lately.. ;)

As far as I know and have seen so far for myself (which has not been a lot) all reverse proxy stuff (like reverse proxy with nginx) is handled via config files, so it's not exactly what I'd call native.  You can't open a web gui on unraid and set up your proxies.

Yes you can continue to add as many disks as your unraid license allows without losing data -- each disk is added to the array.

Yes docker is supported and portainer already has a docker available in Community Applications.. anything that you can't find in Community Applications can be installed manually if you wish using docker commands.

Can unraid be used in virtual box... if you strictly mean "in" virual box, as in running unraid as a virtual machine.. yes, it's possible.. there's some threads/videos on how to do that... but that's not the "native" use of unraid.  It's possible but I'm not sure if it's "advisable" to run it as such.

You don't need the NVMe for the operating system in a sense like installing Windows on it... Unraid runs off a USB stick, 16GB is probably plenty of space but throw it on a 32-64GB flash drive and call it a day.  The NVMe can then be used for whatever purpose you want ... as a cache disk would be just fine. 

As to all the hardware related questions ... any newer, faster hardware will always be better for you.  Period. 

1 hour ago, Energen said:

Unraid runs off a USB stick

More correctly, it boots and unpacks from the USB into RAM, and runs from RAM, only occasionally reading and writing configuration files that live on the USB.

Running from RAM is MUCH faster than running on even the fastest NVME drives, but means that Unraid is cut down and streamlined to fit into the smallest footprint that is practical.

thanks folk, the reverse proxy bit i made use of synology for that and a web gui so never properly set up via a config, the reason i asked about virtualbox is i want to install and have a bit of a play with it before hand but it will be run as it should be upon deployment so to speak, it seems to tick all the boxes for what i am wanting, any tips would be appreciated, thanks very much