Shopping for a solid new board, memory and CPU - Opinions?

I found this at the Geeks...haven't tried to beat it yet. This MB has not been tried yet, but it is pretty cheap with good features. What do you guys think?

See it at: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TA790GX-128M-R&cpc=SCH

Biostar TA790GX-128M - AMD 790GX Northbridge / SB750 Southbridge

Memory: 16GB Max DDR2 533/667/800/1066 Mhz 240 Pin DIMMs in 4 slots.

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8111C (Gb Ethernet)

SATA: 6 ports SATA-II

PCI-e: Supported - (2) x16 slots - (2) x1 slots

CPU: AM3/AM2+/AM2 Supported

$55 at the Geeks (Approx).

Paired with 4GB of Memory PC2-6400 - $55

CPU: AMD Phenom X3 - 8450e - 65W - $42

Total: $152

Thanks!

No red flags, lots of expandability, looks like a winner to me.  Go for it, and let us know how it works out.  I generally prefer MicroATX mobos, but for that price I wouldn't complain.  Just make sure you get a case and enclosures that will leave enough room for that mobo.

A phenom CPU is very much overkill for unRAID unless you have certain CPU intensive addons in mind...

Thanks for looking, Raj...

Yes, I am eventually building a media server - not sure which one I will end up with. Besides unRaid, I want to run something like YAMJ (or one of many others), and a CLI "ripper/encoder". The goal is to perhaps rip a bunch of .ISOs and plug that into my media server, at which point it makes an archived .iso image and does whatever else I need, looking up artwork, etc. I have an eclectic mix of media players. Based on that, I figure I need lots of horsepower...this is kind of a compromise, since the CPU would be 65W - far less than the quad core and new 6-core AMD designs...less costly than the i3, i5 or i7.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived