NVME drive in array disabled, content emulated

I find it strange that 1 nvme drive connected using PCI-E adapter (link below) failed on me twice. It is ADATA SX6000 Lite 1TB which I plan to save my VMs on it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-Dual-Adapter-Express-Expansion/dp/B0844M83MG

I successfully created a Windows 10 VM and able to run it. I have selected under user shares for domains  (/mnt/user/domains) to use this disk (disk 5 in the array) but the location still stated on Cache.

After creating the VM 2 days ago, it failed on me and I have tried stopping, unassigned, start array, stop, assigned, start and rebuild which takes hours, which again strange, because the used data state 7GB (which I also have no idea what data is this 7GB)

today, it failed on me again and saw on Main tab, it has 18,446,744,073,709,049,856 writes and 67 errors, parity build takes hours, and as I'm writing this, it is still doing parity check for the 2nd time. I know the nvme disk not the best one, but I am thinking to use it only for VM should be enough.

for cache, I use ADATA Gammix S11 pro 1TB connected directly to the motherboard, it seems fine.

I want to know why parity check took so long when there's no data store in the disk yet. What settings am I missing?

I didn't find any error on the SMART log file or I'm looking at the wrong section of the diagnostic files.

Can someone please help me what did I do wrong?

mshomesvr-smart-20200722-1529-sx6000lite.zip mshomesvr-diagnostics-20200722-1556.zip

First I would not recommend using an NVMe device on a disk array as writes are going to be limited by parity, you can use it as a UD device or with the new beta on its own "pool", log is being spammed with unrelated errors and I don't see where the NVMe dropped, but this can sometimes help with some:

Some NVMe devices have issues with power states on Linux, try this, on the main GUI page click on flash, scroll down to "Syslinux Configuration", make sure it's set to "menu view" (on the top right) and add this to your default boot option, after "append" and before "initrd=/bzroot"

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

Reboot and see if it makes a difference.

I also doubt that it's not a good idea to place the nvme into the array. Ok I tried searching and found out that UD is Unassigned Devices. Let me explore further about it.

Should I still add the parameter to boot menu so it become like this, even after make the nvme as UD?

kernel /bzimage
append nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0,initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui

quick question, can I still have a parity backup for UD?

thank you so much johnnie.black

23 minutes ago, msantoso said:

Should I still add the parameter to boot menu so it become like this, even after make the nvme as UD?

It won't hurt.

23 minutes ago, msantoso said:

quick question, can I still have a parity backup for UD?

No, you can have a redundant pool, but would need another device.

I am not sure why, but after appending that parameter and apply "new config", both nvme drives disappear, both cache and the one in the array. even after reboot, they didn't appear. So I remove them and now it's there. I though I lost my VM image there.

ok now unraid is building parity 10TB.

I'm still trying to figure out this UD stuff.

Thank you so much johnnie.black

I have no idea why 🙂 but I have successfully moved my VM vdisk to the UD, and successfully resized it. After resized, capacity increased (128Gb) but allocation does not (still 64Gb). Maybe have to reboot after parity build finished?

Disk devicesBusCapacityAllocation

/mnt/disks/ADATASX6K/Win10Pro/vdisk1.img                     VirtIO      128G       64G

/mnt/user/isos/Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso           IDE          5G         5G

/mnt/user/isos/virtio-win-0.1.173-2.iso                                  IDE        376M      376M

I think for the moment I am satisfied with the result.

Thank you thank you

Edited by msantoso
add more info